Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RGA

nicburch

Hello all,

I have the name of a gunner with the RGA,but would like to find which division he was attached to.His medal card gives no information and he survived the war. I understand this is post 1916 because there is no date of entry on the card;is this correct?His name was F.D.Saw,thankyou in anticipation.

Oberon: If his MIC does not give his unit and he is a regular it will be very difficult to find his battery, brigade or division. The only hope is that he was a territorial gunner in which case his six-digit post-1916 service number would allow one to tell with which brigade he served. What was his rank and service number(s)? Dick

check the medal rolls. The RGA often list the battery on these.

Regards

Leigh

I agree with Leigh: all the Royal Garrison Artillery medal rolls I have seen, have recorded the battery details and also whether they were Anti Aircraft, Heavy, etc and sometimes even the dates a man served. In contrast the Royal Field Artillery rarely gives that information. At least access the roll, you will probably have more luck than with WO363/364.

Base details mean that there was no specific battery the person was attached to.

Quote: Base details mean that there was no specific battery the person was attached to.

Thats right Fred and yet all my men (over 200) were attached to a battery and had been since 1914 when the medal rolls were compiled.

Roop

will follow up the medal rolls,does this mean a visit to Kew?

Yes, the medal rolls are in Kew - but you can search for his service papers in PIN 26, WO 363 (you need to find the reference there), WO363 mis-sorts 110, WO364/3579, 4914, 5630, and 5804.

Have I left any references out, pals?

yet all my men (over 200) were attached to a battery and had been since 1914 when the medal rolls were compiled.

Roop

Commiserations Roop, I must have had more luck, that's the way it goes with tens of 000s possible hits.