Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Vickers machine gun Early 303 mesh type for aircraft

Flavio

Hi guys, a few months ago I found a strange piece in areas frequented by the British army in the Asiago plateau.

I never understood what it could be used for or where it came from

Today, however, showing it to an expert on weapons from the First World War, it turned out that it is a rare piece and belongs to the belts for the Vickers mounted on aircraft until 1916, so since there was no raf squadron in Italy until 1917, I assume it was mounted on an Italian plane.

What do you think?

Ps

The british 303 shot is naturally empty

@Richard Fisher

IMG_20230704_220407.jpg

IMG_20230704_220427.jpg

IMG_20230704_220440.jpg

Edited by Flavio

The appearance of the 303 doesn't suggest empty to me. The stab crimps still look sharp, when either firing or pulling tends to flatten them, the primer's undented and the bullet's unmarked.

Just sayin'   ^_^:)

No doubt - for loading the weapon, the cartridge needs to be backwards pulled out of the belt elements - so the belt certainly was made for a Maxim-type of machine gun.

1 hour ago, HenryTheGerman said:

No doubt - for loading the weapon, the cartridge needs to be backwards pulled out of the belt elements - so the belt certainly was made for a Maxim-type of machine gun.

Hello, and first of all thanks for the answer... I'll tell you that I'm a bit confused because whoever told me that this piece is part of the first model of the disintegrable link for Vickers tape for aircraft also sent me a photo which I am now attaching

IMG_20230706_111154.jpg

On 04/07/2023 at 21:18, Flavio said:

...Today, however, showing it to an expert on weapons from the First World War, it turned out that it is a rare piece and belongs to the belts for the Vickers mounted on aircraft until 1916, so since there was no raf squadron in Italy until 1917, I assume it was mounted on an Italian plane...

@Richard Fisher

IMG_20230704_220407.jpg

IMG_20230704_220427.jpg

IMG_20230704_220440.jpg

On 06/07/2023 at 12:40, HenryTheGerman said:

The OP's photos don't show the Prideaux type links, but the earlier MS type links that were replaced by the Prideaux links. It's difficult to be certain here, but to me they appear to be the MkII version.  See - Goldsmith, "The Grand Old Lady of No Mans Land",  1994, pages 133-135:

DSC06011.JPG

DSC06012.JPG

DSC06013.JPG

Indeed, @ Andrew Upton - and again I've learned something. Thanks.

Regards

H