Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Shell casing puzzle

Sandra Long

I have a shell casing with the info as follows: 

7 Polte Juli 1917 Magdeburg 

centre has 2176 & 12 but other info not legible 

it has been turned into trench art. But I just noticed today that on the side it has the following: 9th Dec. 1917 Jerusalem

It’s been made into a vase, & I’m just in the process of getting its 3rd ‘foot’ stuck back on!

7.7cm across the top, 8.8cm across the base, 13.5cm high (from the base). 

photos attached.

just wanting to find out a bit more about it. I understand the date of manufacture & place. But what really interests me is the date with the Jerusalem inscription. Why would this be there? Who would have put it on? 

IMG_6285.jpeg

IMG_6284.jpeg

IMG_6282.jpeg

IMG_6281.jpeg

IMG_6283.jpeg

It’s a German made 7.5cm cartridge case. Probably Turkish used if it turned up in that part of the world.

My guess would be that it was decorated by a local and purchased as a souvenir by a British soldier who had the specific inscription added. Probably related to this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Jerusalem

Thanks so much for that info. And I see the New Zealanders were in this battle, so no doubt this is how this came to be acquired by either my grandfather or great uncle and brought home.

its possible it could be a well travelled soldier, for example 9th Gloucs initially went to France in 1915 then moved to Salonika, Likewise some of the Aussies started in Gallipoli and ended up in France. its possible it was picked up in one place then carted elsewhere thinking it could be further engraved with other travels. 

Thanks for your suggestions chaz, I didn’t think about that. I now have a vision in my mind of a soldier getting hold of this with the intention of carting it around in his rucksack to various different theatres of war, but maybe injured & repatriated back to England.