Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trying to identify German regimental markings on sword

itsme

Hello everyone, and thanks for the rich information you provide in this community.

There seem to be many experts in German regimental markings here, so I thought I would ask, even though I think the sword in question is probably earlier than WWI.

It's hilt is marked with 18. D. 4. 6...

Based on my research this could be consistent with the 18th Dragoons regiment (Mecklenburg). But I have also seen that the D mark may stand for "Division".

Can anyone here confirm or confute my hypothesis, or provide more insights?

Also, the blade is marked with an Alex Coppel mark that I see a lot on WWI bayonets, even if the blade configuration seems older to me. Have you seen swords like this in use during WWI?

Thank you!

IMG_20230703_154158.jpg

IMG_20230703_154249.jpg

IMG_20230703_154255.jpg

IMG_20230703_154304.jpg

IMG_20230703_135924.jpg

IMG_20230703_135936.jpg

IMG_20230703_154221.jpg

IMG_20230703_124929.jpg

Edited by itsme

I assume its M1852/79 Cavalry sabre or its predecessor, the unit stamp should be for 18.Dragoner Regt., 4.Eskadron and weapon nr.xx. I would recommend good oiling of metall parts. It could be used even in WW1, anyway most real the Cavalry was moved into trenches, so similar sabres were already obsolete in that area.

https://wiki.genealogy.net/DR_18

Edited by AndyBsk

It will look better if you rub the metalwork over with some fine wire wool lubricated with a good gun oil. Repeat until you’re happy with the patina. Hopefully someone will advise on how to sympathetically clean the grips.

I would personally not do anything on leather cover of grip, not oil on it, when so only leather non color vaseline. Or cover with renesaince wax.

• 3 weeks later...

Can't remember the exact date, but in 1915, spring I think, all German cavalry units surrendered their swords for rifle and bayonets - except for officers.

Trajan