Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help Please?

neptune

post-5988-1113074864.jpg

Hi everyone,

Here is the mic card for my great uncle Michael O'Toole, Royal Munster Fusiliers (7511) - there doesn't seem to be any details of the medals awarded to him compared to the other five cards who all seem to have their medals listed - not sure why?

Also can anyone explain the numbers in the top right hand corner for me please?

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Neptune

Neptune,

They're in the stamp, top right. I can just make out 1915 Star in the bottom box (he just qualified by 25 days). The Victory Medal is in the top box and the horizontal line probably means ditto for the BWM.

It's a "Design 2" card. See this link:

http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchive...v.uk/medals.asp

or this one!

http://www.1914-1918.net/mics.htm

Steve.

They're in the stamp, top right. I can just make out 1915 Star in the bottom box (he just qualified by 25 days). The Victory Medal is in the top box and the horizontal line probably means ditto for the BWM.

Agreed, he was awarded your Standard 1915 Star trio.

"Pip, Squeak and Wilfred" :D

post-6536-1113086250.gif

:D

Thanks a lot everyone I've never knew which medals he had but Ive seen a WW1 brass plaque maybe 4 inches wide with his family in Ireland. Now i know the medals as well.

Thanks again

Neptune,

The plaque would be a "Death Plaque" with Britannia and a Lion, sent to the Next of Kin of those who died.

In answer to your other question. The numbers are the references in the medal rolls to which the MICs are an index. The Medal Rolls can be accessed at the National Archives at Kew and are not online.

Steve.

Neptune,

The plaque would be a "Death Plaque" with Britannia and a Lion, sent to the Next of Kin of those who died.

In answer to your other question. The numbers are the references in the medal rolls to which the MICs are an index. The Medal Rolls can be accessed at the National Archives at Kew and are not online.

Steve.

Steve

Thanks again for the information on "Death Plaque" - I appreciate all your help

Neptune