Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

French Uniforms Gallipoli

Hotaru

Dear all,

could you may provide me with some information or color plates in regards to the French troops uniforms worn at Gallipoli?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Frank

Hi Frank,

The only colour plate that I can immediately think of is a picture of a soldier of the Foreign Legion battalion, wearing a dark overcoat and a light coloured <<pain de sucre>> pith helmet. There was a series of 1:35 model soldiers, based on Osprey prints, issued by Del Prado.

You may do well to post the question on the francophone equivalent of the GWF
https://forum.pages14-18.com/viewtopic.php?t=71305

The uniforms would vary, according to the unit:

Tirailleurs Sénégalais (4, then 7 battalions) - Dark blue uniform introduced in June 1914, but there is a photo of them wearing khaki drill alongside les marsouins, prior to transfer from a Greek island.
Marsouins (2, then 5 battalions) - khaki drill uniform with pith helmets. Their jacket was unique to them, the paletot. The nearest to the marsouins in an english language context were the European regiments of the HEIC in the first half of the 19th Century, volunteers who enlisted to serve overseas.

Metropolitan infantry of the 175e & 176e Regiments - They were attired in Horizon Blue uniforms
Metropolitan artillery - the IWM photo of the 75mm has them wearing pith helmets

Zouaves (2, then 5 battalions)- Red trousers and dark blue tunics
Chasseurs d'Afrique MG section - light blue uniform. They, and the Foreign Legion, were photographed whilst engaged in salvaging personal equipment.

The correspondent for The Times, Ashmead Ellis-Barrett, Ellis-Ashmead-Bartlett describes the different colours of the French uniform, in contrast to that of the British and Dominions forces in May 1915.

Khaki drill was issued as summer clothing to the French troops at Salonika, I am unaware if something similar occurred at Gallipoli

The books by André Jouineau should indicate what these uniforms would have looked like, You can buy some prints online of his illustrations. For reasons of copyright I have thought better of posting any images without seeking permission from the copyright owner beforehand.

Best of luck with your research.

Edited by Keith_history_buff
typo corrected, see red font

My mistake. 

I believe the print that I am referring to is an illustration by Mike Chappell, contained within "French Foreign Legion 1914-45". (Men-at-Arms No. 325)

The illustration is of a soldier dressed in khaki drill trousers, a khaki drill pith helmet and a dark blue overcoat, his rifle in his right hand, and a machine gun on his left shoulder. 

• 6 months later...