Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

French Gras bayonet?

Brandonloria

Hello to all, I am new to this forum but have been trying to get information on a bayonet I inherited. Trying to track down my late step fathers brother for the matching rifle. 

Anyway, I am trying to figure out the markings or hallmarks on this bayonet. The “R” stamp with the “8” are, as I am assuming the serial number on my piece. Is this correct and if so, does that mean it was, in fact, the 8th bayonet of the model produced? See pictures below, and thank you for any input! 

IMG_5283.jpeg

IMG_5285.jpeg

IMG_5290.jpeg

IMG_5289.jpeg

IMG_5287.jpeg

IMG_5284.jpeg

IMG_5293.jpeg

Looks like nice Gras M1874, with very early production serial, excellent is matching, R8 serial number, production April 1875 in Manufacture de Armes Tulle. it would speak for nr.8 of production in Tulle, question remains the serial is from begin there or was restamped? But it looks ok to me. The spine of handle was partly removed, which should directing with using this bayonet with other rifle, anyway the locking lenght is too short for a german G71/84 or G88 rifles. The barell ring is intact and have 17,4mm inner diameter?

On 03/07/2023 at 13:06, Brandonloria said:

Thank you for the information AndyBsk, what do you mean by part of the spine of handle being removed? Sorry I am new to these forums, apologies for the format of this. See attached photos below ⬇️ IMG_5301.jpeg.bf9d9e119d87094e08b61843b66fbfd3.jpeg

Here are some more photos

IMG_5300.jpeg

IMG_5301.jpeg

IMG_5303.jpeg

IMG_5304.jpeg

IMG_5306.jpeg

Barell ring is untouched also 17,5mm as it should be on Gras. On last picture You could see clearly the end of brass pommel in area of rifle slot was filed out partly i assume 1-2mm from spine. This was done mainly on rifles which dont have the bayonet adapter directly on barell as Gras M1874 did have, but mainly on first buttstock ring. This could be conversion for Kropatschek M1878, or some other rifle to sample for Vetterli Vitalli? but for German rifles G71/84 or G88, should be the ring higher and the locking lenght should be longer as here. Visible here on forum on other Gras bayonets converted to different rifles.

GrasM74back.JPG.23ab3faf96eefcd060b5330d0f84c908.JPG

Edited by AndyBsk