Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Border Regiment War Diary for July 1917

Urs

Having interest in this diary as 'Bishop' named in the first paragraph is my great uncle. The final paragraph 'Please put Punishment Scheme X into operation at once'. puzzles me and I wonder if anyone can shed light on what Punishment Scheme X might refer to? 

11th Border Regiment at Nieuport. 2nd Lieut. Bishop is killed in working party about midnight 5th/ 6th by indirect MG fire.

Back areas are under heavy shelling during morning and afternoon with 8" Naval Shells.

Retaliation from our field guns and heavies on M18.a.

Enemy aeroplanes are active overhead.

7 July

2nd Border Regiment finds the day passing quietly. At 7:50pm and 8:30pm 'Tank Avenue' and 'London Trench' are shelled with trench mortars and 5.9's.

8th Border Regiment bathing parties to Bomy in the morning and Battalion practice attack in the afternoon.

Lewis Gun teams on range and new draft at Bombing pits. Weather fine.

11th Border Regiment at Nieuport. Slight shelling of our area up to 10am.

Enemy aerial activity in early hours of morning.

Shelling slightly heavier during afternoon and evening with several casualties. About five 8" shells per minute. Night much quieter.

The diary continues to record daily events, detailing movements and casualties.

10th July…

The wires are all down & signallers are using the lamp but no reply from our Artillery yet. We have been continually "strafed" since before 6am this morning with "Heavies" etc. Please put Punishment Scheme X into operation at once."

The WD of 32 Div HQ GS has attached to the July 1917 papers a record of all messages on 10 and 11/07. You might get a clue there. I think it must be something to do with Counter Preparation orders given to the "Heavies". I will continue to have a look. 

Brian

EDIT

The WD of the Commander RA 32 Div WO 95/2376 records that the Div Artillery took over on 20/06/1917 and on 23/06 formulated Retaliation Schemes to counter the German Artillery. This included 18 pounders, 4.5 Howitzers and Trench Mortar Batteries. 

See this page from the WD for 10/07/1917, "We retaliated with Scheme X". Courtesy TNA/Ancestry WO 95/2376.

I have not looked at the Artillery Brigade WDs.

2376.jpg

Edited by brianmorris547
additional info

Brian, you are so kind - I really do appreciate your time and effort.

All good wishes,

Ursula