Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

On every part of the western front...

Chris Boonzaier

This is part of the document group to a german soldier named Max Wolf, he was 34 at the outbreak of the war, served all the way through and was still alive in 1944.

I thought it may be of interest. I have some rough notes below from my files which I am posting because of a recent conversation where someone said everyone who ever heard a bullet fired in anger recieved the Iron cross. Wolf is typical of thousands and thousands of men who recieved the cross after a long period at the front, without having done a specific brave deed, but got the EK for time served anyway. (Time served at the front).

Max Bruno Wolf was born in Saxony on the 1st march 1880. He served in the Infanterie-Regiment 134 in 1901-1902 before becoming a carpenter in civilian life. At the outbreak of the war he was married with 5 children.

Called up he went to war as a simple soldier in the Landwehr Infanterie Regiment 106, part of the 47th Landwehr Division. The Division was in the Champagne, going into the line on the 14th september 1914 near Moronvillers. Wolf was wounded in the upper arm by a bullet on the 20th September 1914 and spent time in a hospital in Frankfurt a.M. On the 3 December 1914 he transfered to the Reserve Infanterie Regiment 245 and fought on the Yser where he was wounded once again with a bullet to the upper arm on the 18th April 1915, this time staying with his unit. The regiment then fought in the 2nd battle of Ypres, loosing heavily at Frezenberg, Verlorenhoek and Hooge.

Toward the end of March the regiment took over a quiter part south of Neuve Chapelle but in August the regiment left took part in the slaughter on the Somme. The regiment took over a sector in the Combles-La forest sector on the 6th September 1916 and by the 8th September Wolf was wounded in the arm and posterior by shell splinters. Seriously wonded he was in Hospital then recovery units until mid Febuary when he rejoined his Regiment at Verdun. The regiment stayed here until May 1918 when it returned to fight on the Somme. At the end of August it was sent to the tip of the St Mihiel salient, and ended the war fighting in the Bezonvaux sector in the Meuse Argonne sector.

Wolf was awarded the bronze Friedrich August medal for war service (a Saxon award) in May 1917, the Iron Cross 2nd class in June 1918, and the Silver wound badge (3 wounds) in December 1918.

post-748-1113070014.jpg

Wouldnt Brit medal collectors love a passbook where all actions are entered? It makes research so much easier ;-)

post-748-1113070093.jpg

His upper arms must have been a sight to see !!