Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Submarine E52 located in Dartmouth.

seaJane

"Scientists believe they’ve confirmed a Dartmouth urban legend of more than 80 years by ‘finding’ a Royal Navy submarine buried in the town park.

Experts from the University of Winchester used ground penetrating radar to scan the site where the old boat was believed to rest – along with landfill – which created Coronation Park.

The vague outline of what is thought to be HMS E52 can be made out on the resulting scans – as well as a second object, a German torpedo boat, longer but also more narrow."

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-latest-activity/news/2023/june/30/20230630-submarine-found-in-park

Very interesting & intriguing!  Thanks for posting Jane!  Appectiate you might keep us overseas mates posted on future developments pls.

Best w....Bryan (Canada)

If I hear anything I certainly will :).

Thank you for posting this. It's very interesting. I wonder if there is anything like it anywhere else.

RM

5 hours ago, shelley said:

Did you mean to repeat the link I originally posted? :)

On 01/07/2023 at 12:26, rolt968 said:

I wonder if there is anything like it anywhere else.

RM

I’m reminded of the tragedy at Dover on 16th September 1918 which resulted in HMS Glatton being torpedoed. What was left of the ships structure was buried in a gully near the then submarine park which is now under the car ferry terminal.

I am lucky enough to have one of the leather armchairs from the Wardroom of HMS Glatton. After the explosion, it found its way into the Admiralty Salvage Depot at Dover (located in a building on the cliff-side of the old Camber dock) and when the Depot closed during the mid-seventies, my father rescued it and we kept at home in Deal. I liked it so much that when I eventually cleared out my parents old home, I took it with me in order to grace my house. It was a quality piece of furniture in its day, but sadly its age has now started to show, so a few years back we moved it out of the living room and into the cellar - it really needs ‘The Repair Shop’ type treatment in order to restore it to its former glory.

MB

• Admin
1 hour ago, KizmeRD said:

I am lucky enough to have one of the leather armchairs from the Wardroom of HMS Glatton. After the explosion, it found its way into the Admiralty Salvage Depot at Dover (located in a building on the cliff-side of the old Camber dock) and when the Depot closed during the mid-seventies, my father rescued it and we kept at home in Deal. I liked it so much that when I eventually cleared out my parents old home, I took it with me in order to grace my house. It was a quality piece of furniture in its day, but sadly its age has now started to show, so a few years back we moved it out of the living room and into the cellar - it really needs ‘The Repair Shop’ type treatment in order to restore it to its former glory.

MB

Fill in the form MB, nothing to lose! Ricochet Casting - The Repair Shop

20 hours ago, KizmeRD said:

leather armchairs from the Wardroom of HMS Glatton

Wow! I am interested in HMS Glatton as the site of the award of Staff Surgeon Edward Leicester Atkinson's Albert Medal. A treasureable piece of furniture!

sJ

@KizmeRD If it was me I certainly would have that historic chair restored, I expect it would look great restored to its original condition!

Personally I'd avoid "The Repair Shop" as they seem to forget that "originality, once lost, cannot be replaced", and replace things that, to me, seem inappropriate.

My view, anyway, FWIW