Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kilted military uniform- can anyone identify regiment?

dixie

Good day and thank you in advance.

We have this photo of 2 men in kilts in our family but no one is exactly sure which ancestor they are and when and where this was taken.  Our ancestors lived in Glasgow before WW1.  One was in the Royal Army Medical Corps, the other's records appear to have been lost in the fire.  Thank you for any help.

2 Men in Kilts.jpg

Thank you.  A "photo detective" suggested it was a dress military uniform taken when they signed up.  But still unknown. Must be in a studio because they were too poor to have their own personal kilts.

38 minutes ago, dixie said:

Thank you.  A "photo detective" suggested it was a dress military uniform taken when they signed up.  But still unknown. Must be in a studio because they were too poor to have their own personal kilts.

It's not military dress Dixie. It is however quality dress. Look at the dirks, sgian dubhs and buckled shoes. This is not the typical odds and ends found in most photographer's dressing up boxes. It is worn correctly and it fits.

Edited by TullochArd

Hum, thanks - back to the drawing board as they say.

Our last name was MacDonald and ancestors were from the Outer Hebrides.  Don't think I can tell the tartar without color.

Thanks again.

8 hours ago, TullochArd said:

It's not military dress Dixie. It is however quality dress. Look at the dirks, sgian dubhs and buckled shoes. This is not the typical odds and ends found in most photographer's dressing up boxes. It is worn correctly and it fits.

A good quality, generic civilian outfit as you say, with notably plain belt plates and sporran cantles.  I was trying to identify the glengarry cap insignia and on balance it looks like a simple thistle (the other possibility seemed a stags head with outspread antlers).  It’s a pity we can’t make out the tartan sett properly, given that both men seem to wear the same, even if the rest of their dress items are not 100% consistent and common.

For dixie:  it was especially popular at the start of WW1 for some of the young patriotic Scotsmen to have their portrait photos taken in kitsch Scottish national dress long before they enlisted, or were conscripted to the Army.  An important (and much misunderstood) point about what is now thought of as traditional Scottish national dress is that it actually evolved from British Army regimental uniform, rather than the other way around. 

IMG_8464.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

34 minutes ago, dixie said:

Our last name was MacDonald and ancestors were from the Outer Hebrides.  

36 minutes ago, dixie said:

Don't think I can tell the tartar without color.

Look closely at the single white intersecting lines surrounded by a double white intersecting box in each sett.  I reckon we are looking a Royal Stuart. A common choice in civilan Pipe Bands. 

7 hours ago, TullochArd said:

Look closely at the single white intersecting lines surrounded by a double white intersecting box in each sett.  I reckon we are looking a Royal Stuart. A common choice in civilan Pipe Bands. 

I think you’re right, it certainly looks more like Royal Stewart than any of the other tartans popular at that particular time.

IMG_8465.jpeg

IMG_8466.jpeg

IMG_8468.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

3 hours ago, dixie said:

Our last name was MacDonald and ancestors were from the Outer Hebrides.  Don't think I can tell the tartar without color.

MacLeod is apparently the most common name in the Outer Hebrides with MacDonald coming in a close second.  That said, Outer Hebrides may provide a further clue for you ...... although a permanent family relocation to Glasgow would end this possibility  

The Lewis Pipe Band wore Royal Stuart tartan, which is likely shown in this photo, but only from 1926.  The Band history reads "The Lewis Pipe Band was formed on the 5th. July 1904. It first wore Hunting Stewart Tartan (Royal Stewart from 1926) and Matheson Badges presented by Major Duncan Matheson of Lews Castle. The Tunics were Bottle Green. Each Band Member paid 6d (2.5p) per week to Band Funds." 

I can't make out the cap badge in the OP photo but Frogsmile's interpretation seems sound.  That said it is not a Mathieson badge.  Here is a Great War photo of Duncan Matheson who presented the Lewis Pipe Band with the Matheson badges ........ just to keep us on a GWF track.

For poor blokes who couldn't afford their own kilts Dixie it might be unusual that they are both wearing rings? The chap on the left a wedding band on his left hand and the chap on the right what seems to be a signet ring on his right hand.

Duncan Matheson.jpg

Edited by TullochArd

Thank you so much for your interest and information.  The photo is a bit of a mystery - provided by a second cousin who said that her mother told her that they were 2 brothers (they don't look like brothers)- siblings of my grandmother.  Both her mother and my granny have passed so no validation there.  The two brothers, Donald and Archibald MacDonald went to WW1 and then disappeared.  Neither died in the war and neither married that we know of.  There were many cousins and uncles back in the Outer Hebrides (North Uist) so the men could be them also.  I have tried to contact other relatives on North Uist but probably will reach out again.

It is very helpful to know that this is not a dress military uniform but fancy anyways.  Thank you again for your insights.

On 29/06/2023 at 16:20, FROGSMILE said:

I think you’re right, it certainly looks more like Royal Stewart than any of the other tartans popular at that particular time.

IMG_8465.jpeg

IMG_8466.jpeg

IMG_8468.jpeg

2nd photo is Evan McRae, PM of QOCH. A good friend of my uncle.