Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Italian Bersaglieri Tunic query

Gunner 87

Hi Guys.

I am helping a gent in the US who has just purchased a garment which was advertised simply as a military tunic as, on enquiry, the seller could not confirm it's identity. The item was described as a bring back from the Great Water which had been in storage for many years and now on sale after the owner had passed. 

Researching the tunic, and viewing the images, my initial thought was the artefact was a replica or fake but the lack of anything similar and the price the seller was asking went against this theory.

We believe the gorget patches are that of the Italian Bersaglieri though the lack of a star is puzzling. The item has no label to assist but the colour and lack of lining may point towards a tropical or summer issue tunic. It has been suggested it may date from the early 1900's. 

I have absolutely no knowledge of Italian uniform and, as such, would be very grateful for an opinion as to its pattern and date.

Thank you in advance 

Gunner 87

@Flavio

DFC0E59F-A004-401D-9C41-7FADE6D05EF9.jpeg

0971D60D-2220-4EA1-AC4D-3A5A5B256F99.jpeg

96920423-6434-4063-A600-669E2B53A9A4.jpeg

952ED939-80E0-4FAB-B846-322BAD0A442B.jpeg

4EB31AD0-F566-40C8-8FF4-E95772C57D28.jpeg

Edited by Gunner 87

To answer my own question I think the tunic in the same material is called 'Fatigue Dress'. It appears both enlisted men and officers wore this type of tunic. I attach a number of images from the Great War.

8ABB28CF-7FC2-48A3-B427-AE388A8948D1_4_5005_c.jpeg

093BE4E4-867C-4D75-AC75-40D0151C6415.jpeg

286806B8-A109-4B8D-A511-0653D2087945.jpeg

It looks to me like the officers finer cloth version of the model 1910 uniform that was replaced in 1915 by a revised pattern without external breast pockets.  
The light khaki colour suggests the cotton drill pattern worn in Africa.  Loose, pleated skirts seems to have been a feature of Bersaglieri officers uniform (note breast pockets with expansion pleats, unlike ORs).

1.https://www.collezionareexordinanza.it/scheda/29/UNIFORME-BERSAGLIERI-1910/

2.https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/myarchiviostoricofotografico.com/2019/01/bersaglieri-truppa-1871/amp/

3.https://digilander.libero.it/trombealvento/uniformi/uniformi.htm#intermezzo

IMG_8473.jpeg

IMG_8472.jpeg

IMG_8471.jpeg

IMG_8469.jpeg

IMG_8470.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

This one seems especially close in the angle of the pockets, etc.

IMG_8475.jpeg

IMG_8476.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

34 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Bersaglieri officers uniform

Thank you Frogsmile, that is very helpful. It's interesting to note that on the one posted there are no stars on the collar and it doesn't appear they have been removed. 

Mate,

You may also want to look at those Italian Troops sen to fight in Egypt/Palestine during the war.

From the photos I've seen there are Bersaglieri units and they worn the Tan coloured uniforms in the desert.

Of cause we should also think about the war with Turkey in Libya  called Turco-Italian War of 1911-12

So there's a start

S.B

PS

I was also thinking that Italy had a long running fight with the Local Arabs after the Great war in Libya, so there's another idea

Edited by stevenbecker

4 hours ago, stevenbecker said:

Of cause we should also think about the war with Turkey in Libya  called Turco-Italian War of 1911-12

Thank you S.B.

Actually, also just had a suggestion from an Italian military enthusiast who said it was likely from the period of the Italo-Turkish War, 1911-1912, so your spot on. 

Appreciate your help.

Gunner...

Edited by Gunner 87

1 hour ago, Gunner 87 said:

Thank you S.B.

Actually, also just had a suggestion from an Italian military enthusiast who said it was likely from the period of the Italo-Turkish War, 1911-1912, so your spot on. 

Appreciate your help.

Gunner...

That fits with the 1910-1915 existence of that particular pattern of jacket.

Hello, sorry if I didn't answer you sooner but unfortunately neither my son nor I are very experts in uniforms, also because today there are copies on the net that look original but are not.

I asked a friend who is more knowledgeable on the subject

40 minutes ago, Flavio said:

Hello, sorry if I didn't answer you sooner but unfortunately neither my son nor I are very experts in uniforms, also because today there are copies on the net that look original but are not.

I asked a friend who is more knowledgeable on the subject

No apologies needed Flavio. Thank you for taking the time to comment.