Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Halliwell St. Peter's Churchyard (Bolton) - photo request

BillyH

Is there any member in the Bolton area able to look for the grave of a Great War casualty in this cemetery please?

He was an "In from the Cold" case in 2014 and I am wondering if there is any recognition on his plot yet. CWGC certificate attached.

BillyH.

CWGC Certificate.pdf

edit : I am aware that his name is on a memorial in the Churchyard, but I am wondering about his burial plot.

Edited by BillyH

I'll be able to go at some time over the next seven days.

He has papers in WO 363 (Ada 31000) and WO 364 (Ada 18376). He was wounded on 07/07/1916 so there might be a report of both his wound and his death in the local papers with a photograph if we are lucky. He enlisted in September 1914 before the names of recruits were shown in the papers. 

Brian

Many thanks Brian. He enlisted underage with the Loyal North Lancs originally and he was transferred to the Cheshires before going to France. Discharged 5.4.18 due to heart problems aggravated by war service and he died at his sisters house in Flitcroft Street, Bolton three months later.

BillyH.

Billy

Nothing in the local papers about his wound or his death, not even a Family Notice. The historian has nothing more on him. 

He has, however, got a peaceful resting place in St Peter's.

Brian

003.JPG

002.JPG

That was quick work Brian!  and many thanks for the excellent photographs. Fred was born in 1897 and he had lost both parents by the time he was seven, his nok was a married sister, and with him dying of heart disease after leaving the army she probably never reported his death to the newspapers.

Thanks for your time and trouble.

BillyH.

Edited by BillyH