Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Raperie British Cemetery, Villemontoire, near Soissons.

The Kneelagger

Working with a friend, over a number of year's annual trips we have managed to visit and photograph the headstones of many of the men from Heavitree, Exeter, Devon, who fell on the Western Front. Currently there is only one in France that we have not yet got to and that this in Raperie British Cemetery, at Villemontoire, south of Soissons. This is a bit too far south to be incorporated in our previous trips and we have also failed to locateit in the usual free to access databases of soldier's headstones. 

The man we are seeking to get the headstone image of is : Pte William Phillip Edwards of the 2nd/4th battalion of the Somerset Light Infantry who died on 30th July 1918, aged 18. He is buried at Raperie British Cemetery in Plot 3a, Row A, Grave 9.

Can I ask if any member already has an image of this man's headstone could they please share it with us, OR if any member lives near or is intending to visit this cemetery in the near future, could they please consider taking an image of the Headstone and sharing it with us. It would also be appreciated if a second image could be taken of the family epitaph which reads "Only a boy but he gave his all".

It would be greatly appreciated to have this image, which will be used within a roll of honour record for the men who left Heavitree and never returned. - We will remember them

Thank you. 

John Ellis

There is a pretty good image on Find a Grave. The link below will take you to it (hopefully).

https://images.findagrave.com/photos/2016/173/56414303_1466578583.jpg

BillyH.

edit : https://britishwargraves.co.uk/   will also supply an image free of charge.

Edited by BillyH

Thank you for this info, but we had checked this source and without being critical the image is not that good, especially that is not at a straight on angle. Again, I am not trying to decry the work of those who submitted the image, but hope that someone who intends to visit the cemetery anyway, can favour us with a better image.

• Admin

I might be able to get there in September. I’m not completely sure of my plans yet. Send me a PM early September to remind me. 

• Michelle Young changed the title to Raperie British Cemetery, Villemontoire, near Soissons.
1 hour ago, The Kneelagger said:

Thank you for this info, but we had checked this source and without being critical the image is not that good, especially that is not at a straight on angle. Again, I am not trying to decry the work of those who submitted the image, but hope that someone who intends to visit the cemetery anyway, can favour us with a better image.

There's nothing wrong with being a perfectionist Kneelagger, but in this particular case the image is very sharp and it is the headstone that is worn and stained. Also, I am keen on the epitaphs myself but taken at a lower angle the foliage in front of the headstone usually obscures the epitaph.  Best of luck anyway!

BillyH.

Michelle Young - This would be great if you can assist the finalisation of the images of the Heavitree Men Roll of Honour headstone image database. I have made a calandar note to contact you in the first week of September. - Thank you.

Thank you Peter. This has saved us a long trip.

Once again the members of the Great War Forum proved their worth to their fellow members.

Greatly appreciated.

Edited by The Kneelagger
poor typing