Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Naval Reserve Shetland Section - uniform

JohnH

I am interested in finding out more information on the uniform issued to the Royal Naval Reserve (R.N.R) Shetland Section and how it compared to standard Naval uniforms during the Great War. I have attached a photo of 5 young Shetlanders taken shortly after their enrolment into the R.N.R Shetland Section in December 1914. They appear to be wearing naval gaiters. 

group of Levenwick RNR seamen 1914-15 - Copy.jpg

Photo of R.N.R Shetland Section seamen during bayonet drill at Fort Charlotte, Lerwick, Shetland c. 1915 gives better view of naval gaiters.

image.jpeg.1b84941508e17e70d7769556437625eb.jpeg

Edited by JohnH
add photo

Standard RN CLass II (Square Rig) uniform. There was no special RNR issue. Gaiters could be ordered to be worn for gunnery and small arms drills, parades and the like.

Edited by horatio2

31 minutes ago, horatio2 said:

Standard RN CLass II (Square Rig) uniform. There was no special RNR issue. Gaiters could be ordered to be worn for gunnery and small arms drills, parades and the like.

Thanks @horatio2 that is very helpful. 

Normally regular RN ratings were not prmitted to wear moustaches, if a rating wanted to wear one it had to be with a "full set", ie: - moustache & beard.

However RNR ratings ( & I think Coast Guard ratings as well) were permitted moustaches on their own.  How that anomaly played out on active service during 1WW when many RNR ratings were called up into service I cannot say.

• 2 weeks later...

From FWW photographs it can be seen that many RNR and RFR Ratings sported a mustache. Not RN or RNVR. 

As an aside, I did see an RN Lieutenant, recalled from Retirement for an Exercise in the early 90s who wore his Zapata mustache with aplomb!

There were exceptions for RMLI/RMA and certain RN ratings:

KR&AI (2913 -   553. Beards and Moustaches.- The Captain is to permit all the officers and men of the ship, including the Royal Marines, to wear beards and moustaches if they so desire.

When the permission is taken advantage of the use of the razor is to be entirely discontinued, as moustaches are not to be worn without the beard, nor the beard without moustaches, except in the case of officers' stewards and cooks, and marines, who, whether afloat or ashore, may wear their beards and moustaches or moustaches only, as each may elect.

I’ve also seen plenty of period photos of Sick Birth Attendants at Haslar and elsewhere spouting individual moustaches, whether they were regular RN or RNASBR I know not.

MB

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/07/2023 at 21:57, KizmeRD said:

Birth Attendants

Maternity ward?

I agree about the moustaches, but no longer having access to the archive I can't check up. There might be something on the Haslar Heritage website.

My dyslexia is terrible - I’ve taken a laxative hoping it might improve my vowel movements.

MB