Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform identification? Is this 30 Squadron, 1917 Mesopotamia?

DaveBrigg

I have been sent this picture from someone in the Bean family. It might be Lt William Stuart Bean.

Lt Bean from Wrawby was commissioned in the Royal Engineers and worked in coastal defence until he was badly injured in a car accident. With a permanent limp he left the army and joined the RFC. 

His Casualty Form records:
20/12/16 - sailed from Marseilles to Alexandria
31/12/16 - Attached to 3 school of military aeronautics Aboukir
27/1/17 - Attached for instruction to 21 Reserve squadron Abbassia

18/2/17 - transferred to 22 Reserve squadron Aboukir

4/3/17 - transferred to 23 Reserve squadron

24/3/17 - Graded as flying officer, Cairo. Posted to 30 Squadron

?/4/17 - Embarked for Bombay on HT Aronda, place of casualty listed as Suez

1/5/17 - Disembarked Basrah

There were several hospitalisations with diarrhoea

He was killed during a raid on Kifri aerodrome on 21st January 1918 when his DH4 was hit by AA fire and exploded in mid-air. His younger brother Roderick served in the RAFVR between the wars so there is a possibility that the picture may be of Roderick. I don't have the service records of Roderick. 
Any help or advice gratefully received, thanks.

IMG_20230619_0009.jpg

1 hour ago, DaveBrigg said:

I have been sent this picture from someone in the Bean family. It might be Lt William Stuart Bean... His younger brother Roderick served in the RAFVR between the wars so there is a possibility that the picture may be of Roderick....

His wings appear to be the RFC type, which would seem to rule out the younger brother. Otherwise everything about his uniform would appear to fit an officer in the RFC serving in a tropical location as you've described for the service of Lt William Stuart Bean.

On 24/06/2023 at 14:05, Andrew Upton said:

His wings appear to be the RFC type, which would seem to rule out the younger brother. Otherwise everything about his uniform would appear to fit an officer in the RFC serving in a tropical location as you've described for the service of Lt William Stuart Bean.

Many thanks for this. I have managed to find a number of pictures of RFC officers in Mesopotamia but none with this particular combination of puttees, service dress jacket and side cap. I will pass on your comments to the photograph owner.

Mate,

I have the same type, but with jodpures, being a ALH officers uniform

Desert light tan with black buttons

When wearing shorts it was common to wear Puttees to stop sand getting into places like his shoes/boots

I still have a pair issued to me for service in the Tropic's when wearing shorts

S.B