Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform ID - Many thanks

CharlotteMM

• Admin

Looks more police than military to me. Hopefully the experts will be along soon. @FROGSMILE

45 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Looks more police than military to me. Hopefully the experts will be along soon. @FROGSMILE

Yes he’s a circa turn-of-the-Century, up to WW1, police constable, with his striped duty wristlet on.  If someone can focus in closeups on the helmet plate and waistbelt clasp it should be possible to identify his constabulary.  The collar number was the typical method of identifying individuals in an overt and public way.

Edited by FROGSMILE

• Admin

Would the helmet plate signify region, looks like a bird, so maybe Bedfordshire? 

Just now, Michelle Young said:

Would the helmet plate signify region, looks like a swan, so maybe Bedfordshire? 

Yes the emblem at the centre of the helmet plate and often the waistbelt clasp is critical in identifying the constabulary.  It might well be a Swan and if the OP can give us more information about the individual she’s named, such as his hometown, that will help narrow things down too.

• Admin

I can’t find any MIC for the surname Twitt, so doubtful he served in the Great War.

6 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

I can’t find any MIC for the surname Twitt, so doubtful he served in the Great War.

I think it might be Birmingham City Police - shades of ‘Peaky Blinders’.

IMG_8385.jpeg

IMG_8383.jpeg

IMG_8389.jpeg

IMG_8388.jpeg

IMG_8386.jpeg

IMG_8387.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

The death of the 42 year old Montague Twitt was recorded in 1919 in the Axbridge District of Somerset.

His entry in the 1919 UK Probate Calendars records he was a Coachsmith living at 2 Stanley Villas, Coronation Road, Worle, Somersetshire. He died on the 27th February 1919.

The 1911 Census of England & Wales records him as born Worle and then living at 1 Stanley Villa.

There are some contemporary Somersetshire Constabulary photographs here but none are clear enough to make much of a comparison. https://british-police-history.uk/f/somerset

The Wikipedia page has a picture of a badge but doesn't date it and it looks too simple to have been is use either as a helmet plate or a belt buckle. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somerset_Constabulary

A contemporary obituary in the local press may provide more. Also most cases in the local police courts and magistrates courts were prosecutions made by individual officers. Even if he was just a special there may well be court reports referring to him as the prosecuting officer or having "proved" the case, (i.e. given evidence).

Cheers,
Peter

Edited by PRC
Typo

25 minutes ago, PRC said:

The death of the 42 year old Montague Twitt was recorded in 1919 in the Axbridge District of Somerset.

His entry in the 1919 UK Probate Calendars records he was a Coachsmith living at 2 Stanley Villas, Coronation Road, Worle, Somersetshire. He died on the 27th February 1919.

The 1911 Census of England & Wales records him as born Worle and then living at 1 Stanley Villa.

There are some contemporary Somersetshire Constabulary photographs here but none are clear enough to make much of a comparison. https://british-police-history.uk/f/somerset

The Wikipedia page has a picture of a badge but doesn't date it and it looks too simple to have been is use either as a helmet plate or a belt buckle. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somerset_Constabulary

A contemporary obituary in the local press may provide more. Also most cases in the local police courts and magistrates courts were prosecutions made by individual officers. Even if he was just a special there may well be court reports referring to him as the prosecuting officer or having "proved" the case, (i.e. given evidence).

Cheers,
Peter

Brilliant work in your usual style Peter.  I think that there must be some degree of doubt that the police constable in the photo is actually Montague Twitt.  The more I squint at the insignia the more convinced I am that it is Birmingham.

Somersetshire police seem to have favoured a [edit] blackened helmet plate during the ww1 era.  One other that looks similar to the OP picture but not as close as Birmingham, is Newcastle Upon Tyne police (notice that there is greater voiding at the bottom).

IMG_8391.jpeg

IMG_8392.jpeg

IMG_8393.jpeg

IMG_8394.jpeg

IMG_8396.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

17 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

I think that there must be some degree of doubt that the police constable in the photo is actually Montague Twitt.  The more I squint at the insignia the more convinced I am that it is Birmingham.

This is said to be an Edwardian Somerset Constabulary helmet.  The helmet plate certainly doesnt look the same as the one in the original photograph.

somerset.JPG.68aad653aadfc6fe7c025e9b5efc0d49.JPG 

I agree that it is a Birmingham City Police helmet plate. Sadly, Montague Twitt only seems to be mentioned in official documents as living in Somerset. Hopefully, Charlotte can explain the attribution. Meanwhile I have emailed a BCP contact, and hopefully can give a name for PC 39 in D Division.

Cheers,

Richard

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

I agree that it is a Birmingham City Police helmet plate. Sadly, Montague Twitt only seems to be mentioned in official documents as living in Somerset. Hopefully, Charlotte can explain the attribution. Meanwhile I have emailed a BCP contact, and hopefully can give a name for PC 39 in D Division.

Cheers,

Richard

Thank you Richard, I was wondering if the collar number holders could be traced, but had dismissed it from my mind, as I’d imagined that the numbers would be reissued, although I suppose that if there are nominal rolls for set periods still surviving then it might be possible to trace an ID.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thank you all so much for your input! I quizzed my grandfather shortly before he died on the photo album and he pegged this as Mont, who I have photos of when he is younger and they look like the same person (albeit older!).

However, Mont had a brother, Alfred James Twitt…..who worked in Birmingham as a police officer!

I have no photos of Alfred, but this sounds extremely likely! And explains the keen resemblance. Excellent detective work, I wasnt expecting that answer but I’m very pleased to finally have a photo of him! 

Charlotte

3 minutes ago, CharlotteMM said:

Thank you all so much for your input! I quizzed my grandfather shortly before he died on the photo album and he pegged this as Mont, who I have photos of when he is younger and they look like the same person (albeit older!).

However, Mont had a brother, Alfred James Twitt…..who worked in Birmingham as a police officer!

I have no photos of Alfred, but this sounds extremely likely! And explains the keen resemblance. Excellent detective work, I wasnt expecting that answer but I’m very pleased to finally have a photo of him! 

Charlotte

Thank you for the feedback Charlotte, not every poster does so and it is really appreciated by us all I think.  There seems little doubt to me, given what you have said, that the photograph does indeed show Alfred Twitt.

Edited by FROGSMILE

You’re most welcome, I am always blown away  by the knowledge and the speed with which you can all solve decades of my family history mysteries! 

24 minutes ago, CharlotteMM said:

Before I saw your reply I was checking out FindMyPast \ British Newspaper Archive using a search criteria Twitt, Constable, Birmingham, in case it turned up evidence of Montague serving - perhaps he'd gone to the Birmingham area to take up munition work and also signed up as a part-time special for example. While you've nixxed that, there are quite a few reports for the man who could be the brother. At that point the police also ran the fire brigade and the mortuary service cum ambulance, so it's good to know which part he worked for.

I don't subscribe so unfortunately only have the as usual awful preview computer transcriptions to go on, but definately sounds like he was a bobby on the beat.

FMPscreenshot230623.png.df08de312dd02d90573d597bf85667ab.png

Image courtesy FindMyPast.

Apologies if none of that is news to you.

Cheers,
Peter

I have now heard back from my BCP contact who confirms the force. They have no Montague Twitt in their records, but have narrowed the date of the photo down to pre 1901 (when they changed from the spike to the more rounded top).

Collar numbers were re-used, and they are not always recorded on their spreadsheet.

As an aside, there were at least 24 members of the BCP from D Div serving in the Military Police Corps during the war (including D37 and D40).

Cheers,

Richard

I have seen the violin articles but not the policing ones, thank you. I’m not really sure about Monts life. I had assumed he fought in the war but that now seems unlikely. I have a gift given to him by the Mayor of Weston super mare, Henry Butt, in 1917. He worked as a coachman so I assume he worked at his quarry then, but it’s all unknown. I’ve had no luck tracking down their connection as of yet!

213A1011-7899-481B-9CA8-A215B72D728B.jpeg

1 hour ago, CharlotteMM said:

Now I’ve got to try and work out why Montague didn’t go to war!

The most likely cause is that he did not pass the medical, although standards were gradually lowered throughout the war and by 1918 were much less standardised, taking more of a square peg for square hole attitude and putting lower grade men into jobs requiring less fitness.  The other possibility is if he was in a high value trade where he was more valuable to the war effort as a civilian, although that seems less likely from what you’ve said.

P.S. Perhaps it would be nice to donate a digital copy of the photo to BCP if @Provost thinks that would be appreciated.

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 hour ago, CharlotteMM said:

Now I’ve got to try and work out why Montague didn’t go to war!

Charlotte,

Have you seen the cause(s) of death on the certificate? Given the date the mind automatically presumes Spanish Flu but he could have been unwell from some time and so below any of the standards for conscription.

His profession may also have exempted him. The British Army was still mainly horse drawn even in 1918, while it's wooden aeroplane's were in part dependant on sub-sections contacted out to workshops of all sizes.

I wasn't sure if there were any local employers who might be in that line of work, so went looking for more on Worle throughout the whole era. I found a piece on line called "A glimpse of Edwardian Worle" which had been written by a member of the local history society. It's doesn't mention anyone with the name Twitt, but other than a few mini-profiles it doesn't generally go down to that level of detail. Reason for bring it up is that on Page 101 it references that as well as the War Memorial in the High Street, featuring 28 names from the Great War, there is also a Roll of Honour in St Martin's church recording the 198 from the village who made a significant contribution to the war effort.

According to Google the source site is not trusted, but their cached version can be seen here http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:jqHy3cYyVJ8J:www.worlehistorysociety.net/app/download/5819569758/A%2BGlimpse%2Bof%2BEdwardian%2BWorle.pdf&cd=10&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&client=firefox-b-d

Unfortunately I've not been able to find a picture of it online

Cheers,
Peter