Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CHIEF PETTY OFFICER NIENHAM HMS HAMPSHIRE

padrenick

I recently acquired the Portrait of Chief Petty Officer Nineham who died on HMS HAMPSHIRE  in 1916  He is buried in Lyness Cemetery in the Orkney Islands.  He was from Lymington in Hampshire and all I know is the information provided by the auction house.  The picture came with photo of his ships company  More than that I have no information. Any more info most welcome Padre Nick  

ENGLISH SCHOOL, c.1916. Portrait of Chief Petty Officer Walter Nineham, half-length, wearing naval uniform, oil on canvas, unframed, 25¼ x 20in. A card accompanying the painting states that the sitter perished whilst serving on the cruiser Hampshire, when the ship was sunk on 5th June 1916. Only 12 men survived from a crew of 655 men. The ship was also carrying Lord Kitchener who also lost his life. A photo accompanies the picture which is believed to depict the Ratings of H.M.S. Hampshire

CHIEF PETTY OFFICER WALTER NINEHAM.jpg

HMS HAMPSHIRE RATINGS.jpg

He joined the navy as a Boy (St. Vincent) and worked his way up to Acting CPO at time of death - see link to TNA below.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6703783

MB

Edit - He’s dressed (I believe) in the portrait in the uniform of a Petty Officer 2nd Class in tropical whites (non-substantive Gunlayer), with one Good Conduct Badge, so I think he was probably serving on the cruiser HMS INTREPED out the Mediterranean (around 1910 time). However @horatio2 is better able to confirm.

Edited by KizmeRD

very helpful thanks shippers 

I agreee with @KizmeRD except for the dating. I read him as serving in INTRPID as a 2nd Class Petty Officer (Gunlayer 1st Class) from 2 October 1902 to 29 April 1904, when he was advanced to Petty Officer 1st Class. He was drafted home to HMS EXCELLENT one month later. However, as so often, the handwriting leaves much to be desired, so I am happy to be corrected on this.  

thanks

I think h2 is spot on - if it were later, he would have more than a single GCB.

I’m guess that the family had the painting produced from an old photo, after his sad loss in the Hampshire.

MB

Edited by KizmeRD

yes I agree The auction house says English School circa 1916

• 6 months later...

My Great Uncle, Walter Welsby died on the Hampshire aged 17. I inherited his medals and tallies from his training ships.

Thanks Craig T   When I manage to visit the cemetery I  will pay my respects at your great uncle's grave  its quite an expedition to get there  

Well worth the visit though!

Padre Nick. Thank you for your kindness. I have managed to go, just the once, but what a lovely place.

On 22/06/2023 at 08:20, padrenick said:

Chief Petty Officer Nineham who died on HMS HAMPSHIRE  in 1916

From WFA/Fold3 pension reccords - Left a widow, Bessie Louise and sons Walter J. b.12.5.09, and Edward N. b.29.8.13.

Widow originally awarded a combined pension and childrens' allowances of 22/6 pw from 7.12.16, this was later raised to an Alternative Pension Widow's of £1-14-4 pw from 15-7-18 [34/4 pw]

M

thanks for the pension info