Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A fine set of Army Service Medals

MrG

I wonder if someone can help in identifying the medals in the attached phot? They belong to an elderly friend and were awarded to his uncle Robert William Hopkins (b abt 1880) who completed his service after the first war as 1394 Co .S.Mjr 1 Bat S.Gds, I have the knowledge to identift the WW1 set but would appreciate a bit of help with the others. Great set isn't it?

Thanks

MrG

IMG_6553.JPG

Left to right as we look at them. Distinguished Conduct Medal (DCM), Queen’s South Africa (7 clasps), King’s South Africa, 1914 Star and clasp, British War Medal, Victory Medal, Army Long Service and Good Conduct.

58 DM.

Excellent! Very helpful. Just wondering, can anyone identify the clasps? I know the Mons one on the 1914 Star but can't really read the others.

MrG

1 minute ago, MrG said:

Can anyone identify the clasps?

QSA Medal [Refer to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen's_South_Africa_Medal#Clasps]
Belfast
Diamond Hill
Johannesburg
Driefontein
Paardeberg
Modder River
Belmont

KSA Medal
South Africa 1902
South Africa 1901

Clasps on the QSA are for different actions/battles in the South African War - rather, Second Boer War 1899-1902

Zidane.

Many thanks. Very useful

MrG

3 minutes ago, MrG said:

Many thanks. Very useful

MrG

I did a somewhat brief search for this fellow, but came up with no results... perhaps others will have better luck

Zidane. 

Assuming the DCM was awarded during WW1 (it looks like a GV) members with access to the WW1 DCM registers may be able to turn up the citation.

Steve

On 21/06/2023 at 12:01, MrG said:

Robert William Hopkins (b abt 1880) who completed his service after the first war as 1394 Co .S.Mjr 1 Bat S.Gds,

On 21/06/2023 at 14:39, tankengine888 said:

I did a somewhat brief search for this fellow, but came up with no results... perhaps others will have better luck

On 21/06/2023 at 14:51, MrG said:

Probably because he mostly went by the name of William..

On 21/06/2023 at 20:42, tullybrone said:

Assuming the DCM was awarded during WW1 (it looks like a GV) members with access to the WW1 DCM registers may be able to turn up the citation.

And his number was 1384.

William HOPKINS, 1384, Scots Guards produces a MIC [also shows a SWB listing] and pension records at WFA/Fold3

And the LG has this DCM citation https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29940/supplement/1558 13 February 1917

"1384 C./S./M. W. Hopkins, S. Gds. For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. He has performed consistent good work throughout the campaign, and has at all times under fire set a splendid example."

M

Edit: Pension records show discharge 28.7.18 and an weekly disability pension of 22/- from 29.9.18 to 1.4.19

Got to confess I don't know about the P.W.P 13.12.22 =  perhaps @ss002d6252 can please help us all ??

image.png.05e67d05a714324458c9f9522c2fa24e.png

Image thanks to WFA/Fold3

It seems his Widow, Marie HOPKINS later claimed a widow's pension in1940 [other cards available] - which would explain the PA [Put Away] and the 11/W/79283 claim reference

Edited by Matlock1418
edit

• Admin

As this is also covering WW1, have moved to medals as plenty of GW interest. 

On 21/06/2023 at 12:01, MrG said:

Great set isn't it?

It is a fine group, though the ribbands do look a bit tired, probably and righly proudly worn a lot - I am not suggesting the ribbands need to be renewed - nor the medals cleaned, they have a nice patina from age [my observations, others may have different]

I would observe is that it seems to me a little unusual for an O/R to have them 'court-mounted' [seemingly more an officers' habit in my opinion] rather than 'swing-mounted' which I have thought more usual of the period for O/R [again my observation, others may have different]

Of course he was a Scots Guardsman and ex-Guardsman.

I guess his regiment, more senior NCO rank, position/role and DCM potentially moved him 'up' a bit when it came to mounting and functions - Parades and Old Comrades reunion meetings etc.

Thanks for posting.

M

Edited by Matlock1418
add

15 hours ago, Matlock1418 said:

- I am not suggesting the ribbands need to be renewed - nor the medals cleaned,

Agreed.

Leave them exactly as they are - lovely group.

58 DM.