Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

siege batteries

stephen binks

I have been attempting to find the Heavy Artillery group or the Reserve Artillery Group under which the 8th Seige battery belonged during May 1916. This will enable me to access the correct war diary.

I have been to Kew but their document (wo/5494) which gives the info. was missing! I have also emailed firepower and still await any acknowlegement of my email.

Are there any siege battery experts out there?

Thank you

Stephen Binks

Stephen,

8SB diary is at the NA under the following :

8th SB

You can order this online if required. You would find the heirachy from the diary as it normally would show changes in brigade etc.

Roop

Stephen wrote:

I have been attempting to find the Heavy Artillery group or the Reserve Artillery Group under which the 8th Seige battery belonged during May 1916.

On 5 April 1916 one section of 8 Siege Battery, RGA was posted to 6 Heavy Artillery Group (HAG) and the other section was posted to 15 HAG. On 22 May 1916, the section with 15 HAG transferred to 2 HAG and on 30 May 1916 it transferred to 6 HAG. The complete battery began service with 25 HAG from on 12 June 1916. The war diaries for the previously mentioned HAGs can be found at the National Archives as follows:

6 HAG:

15 HAG: WO95/215

2 HAG: Not found for that date.

6 HAG: Not found for that date.

25 HAG: WO95/303

Regards. Dick

Hi Stephen,

I'm researching 7SB.  7 SB took 8 SB 9.2" gun with them to France see this link http://www.1914-1918.net/Diaries/wardiary-7siege.htm 19 Oct 14.  I Also have the first two pages of the war diary for 8 SB

terryb

West Aust

Hi Terry,

I had a read through your link. I was aware that the 9.2 was transferred but didnot know where. However the 8th siege battery diary still has the 9.2 until 5th Jan. 1915. Two more 6" guns are added and the 9.2" went to Nieppe. I assume this is when it joined the 7th S.B

Steve

Dick,

Thank you for the reference numbers. Do you know if they contain any maps of targets and locations, as the war diary for the 8th SB has nothing.

Stephen

Stephen, Your war diary should have map references for targets or descriptions. Have another look and post them if they are there. It should also tell you how many rounds wer efired etc.

Roop