The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

82nd General Hospital

risca_boy

• Admin
8 minutes ago, risca_boy said:

where in France the 82nd General Hospital was in 1917 please

I don't think it was in France.

Having said that, I'm unsure at present where it was in 1917.

In 1918 to 1919 it was in the Constantinople I think

Regards

Russ

• Admin

And the description of this Document (WO/4936) puts it from April 1918 somewhere in these theatres:

SALONIKA, MACEDONIA, TURKEY BLACK SEA, CAUCASUS AND SOUTH RUSSIA

Other Forum posts places it in Salonika in 1918

Russ

82 GH.jpg

19 minutes ago, risca_boy said:

Could someone tell me where in France the 82nd General Hospital was in 1917 please

From what source did you find a reference indicating it was somewhere in France?

Regards

Russ

Hi Russ, thanks for that info. I had seen that on the NA site but unfortunately it doesn't say where the hospital was prior to 1918. 
I have the service records of Trevor Lewis 156541 254 Tunnelling Coy, who was sent to England on 28.11.1917 from 82 General Hospital. At the time 254 Coy were in Belgium, not France sorry. I was trying to establish his movements for a friend.
Steveimage.png.f6c03fd08f06979a331ae60195b3b691.png

• Admin

I see what you mean - how odd !

I can't find any reference at all to this hospital being anywhere in 1917.

Perhaps it's badly written digits and/or a typo in his record - unfortunately I can't see any other page in his Service Record that either corroborates or contradicts the reference to this hospital.

A mystery to me!

Good luck

Russ

There is no other mention in his service records of this hospital. He did claim for a disability due to a Gunshot Wound to his left eye after demob but was turned down.

I'll keep looking, thanks.

Steve

• Admin

Perhaps someone on here knows and will let us all know.

If not and you ever find out by any other means, please post the answer here for a future searchable reference.

Regards

Russ

As Russ says, it is most likely a typo. The page you posted also shows 244 Tunnelling Co. There was not a RE Tunnelling Co with this number.

On 20/06/2023 at 23:12, RussT said:

it's badly written digits and/or a typo

Looks as if it may have been a 52 that went astray? @risca_boy? If copied from typewriting, I have also known 8 and 3 be confused.

sJ

Edited by seaJane
Addition.

Brian / seaJane
Thanks for your comments. I did notice that there was a reference to 244 Tunnelling Co instead of 254. And it is very possible that the wrong number was written for the hospital. 

I wrote France instead of Belgium!!

Thanks both, and Russ for your inputs.

Steve

• Admin

I think it is most likely to be the 83rd General Hospital, (Boulogne) which was quite  busy during this period. And Boulogne would be a fairly natural choice for someone being evacuated from operations in Belgium.

The thing to do in these situations, although it can be hard work without guarantee of success, is to try to discover other men who were evacuated on the same or near date.

So his War Diary should tell you where he was. You could then search for records of other (wounded) men who were in his unit and also men who were in other units operating nearby. Their records might record their evacuation to certain base hospitals that might include the 83rd.

Regards

Russ

• 2 months later...

risca_boy,

There wasn't a 244 Tunnelling Company, but there was a 254.  They were towards the north-east of Ypres and Frezenberg area in November 1917.  Initially they were working on the roads to Zonnebeke, then dugouts near Somme Farm and Hindu Cot (Ypres Salient) towards the end of November 1917.

Sorry I can't help (yet) with 82nd General Hospital.

Rob