Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

La Basse-Ville 1917: New Zealand Voices from Flanders Fields - Dominique G. J. M. Cooreman

RichardsProductions99

Hi all,

Doing some research into my Great Great Grand Uncle Gerald of the 2nd Wellington Regiment.

I'm trying to find a copy of the above book, but it appears to be out of print. Does anyone on here have a copy?

The ISBN number is: 9780473352783

I have, picked a copy up in the 2nd hand section of the King Own Borders museums in March

John

1 hour ago, Knotty said:

I have, picked a copy up in the 2nd hand section of the King Own Borders museums in March

John

I'm looking for information regarding an action on the night of the 22nd/23rd June.

It probably doesn't mention my G G Grand Uncle specifically (10/3653 Serjeant G W Morris Taranaki Company) but if it gives anything about his company's actions I'd be most interested to know!

His body was never identified, so he's on the NZ memorial at Messines Ridge, so I'd like to know more about where he may have fallen precisely.

I have taken a screen shot of the two pages I think will be of interest, the previous days actions leading up to the raid that you are interested in. It appears that the fateful raid only had 2 fatalities and 1 missing.

Hope it’s of some use

John

IMG_2528.jpeg

IMG_3943.jpeg

Just to say he does get a mention in the book, unfortunately the Casualties chapter.

16 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Just to say he does get a mention in the book, unfortunately the Casualties chapter.

Does it give any detail of the circumstances of his death, or is it only an entry to say he was killed?

No, just name,rank,serial number, regiment and date of death, no circumstances, out of interest have you delved into the war diaries? Or is that why your trying to find the information, nothing in them.

Edited by Knotty

8 hours ago, Knotty said:

No, just name,rank,serial number, regiment and date of death, no circumstances, out of interest have you delved into the war diaries? Or is that why your trying to find the information, nothing in them.

Unfortunately no specific mention of him in the War Diaries, just the narrative of events that took place.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I am the author of the book you were looking for and presently living in Belgium.

Gerald Walter Morris is also mention in my list of casaulties on p 367.

You can contact me via

Spoiler

and there is als oa FB page  labasseville1917

Hello Dominique and welcome to the Forum

Marvellous to make contact with one of the authors of a book that now resides on my shelves. It was a fortuitous purchase as it was unopened, I won’t disclose how much I paid😁, but I appreciate the effort that went into compiling such a history, and having read it took you 12 years of travelling to and from NZ to complete.

John

Hi Dominique,

I'll add my welcome to Knotty's.  We did meet in La Basse-Ville a couple of years ago when you kindly walked me around the sites.  Your book was also hugely helpful in helping me understand the battlefield, even though my interest postdates the New Zealand presence there.

Hope you're keeping well.

Kind regards,

Mark

Yes I do remember Mark.  Happy that the book has been and hopefully still will be helpful.

When I started my research no one had heard about La Basse-Ville, not in Mesen, not in Warneton, not in Comines.... now I fully realise what I did almost 20 years ago! The private Monument for Charles Sciascia has been helpful to keep the interest going...

Hi Dominique! Warm welcome to the forum, and thanks for reaching out!

Your contact isn't showing up at the moment, but if you can message me your email, I'd love to get in touch regarding the book!

Thanks again,

Chris

Thanks Chris,

I see one of 'my' boys in your list.... that is great (Sgt Morris)

It looks like my emailadress got 'lost' in translation... if you contact me via the FB page labasseville1917 I will give you my email, is that ok?

Cheers

3 hours ago, Dominique Cooreman said:

Thanks Chris,

I see one of 'my' boys in your list.... that is great (Sgt Morris)

It looks like my emailadress got 'lost' in translation... if you contact me via the FB page labasseville1917 I will give you my email, is that ok?

Cheers

Hi Dominique,

You can provide your email via a personal message (PM) on this forum.  Just click the little envelope icon in the top right corner of the screen and enter the user name that you want to reach.

Kind regards,
Mark