Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Compass Markings

jamie d

Hi

i am about to purchase a WW1 officers compass and would like to know about the markings on the under side .

Can anybody advise please.

Thanks

WW1 Compass.png

/|\ - Broad Arrow- Government acceptance mark. 
48267 would be the manufacturers serial number. It may be possible to find the date of manufacture using this number. 
The letter A looks to be a later addition by a previous owner. 

Thanks for reply, I am struggling to find out the manufacturer or the year but I like a challenge so I will keep searching 

10 hours ago, jamie d said:

manufacturer or the year

Hi jamie.

I am no expert but thought to look up similar compasses and found many of those made by 'Cruchon & Emons of London' had what appeared to be a letter 'A' or mark that resembled that letter in addition to the Broad Arrow. I didn't find other manufacturer's replicating this.

I have attached images of three, the first dated 1915, the second and third 1916. Interestingly the second compass has no serial number and the third is 45786 which is close to yours, considering the amount produced. This latter compass was also being sold with a case marked C.R. so the 'A' looking mark may not be the owner's initial. 

As such, I wonder if yours is a 'Cruchon & Emons' and either the company name has been painted over, which yours looks like it may've been touched up, or the name has been missed off in the same way os the second has no serial number. 

I hope that gives you something to look at further.

regards

Gunner87

images courtesy of 'Militar Zone'. 'A-2-Z Military Collectables' and 'Easy Live Auction' 

F21D1242-AC23-40A6-AE94-03C50006CD5A.jpeg

1D589EAB-DCA5-490A-841D-885FA558D94B.jpeg

818EBFBB-BDB9-4BD1-8C8F-43132404A867_4_5005_c.jpeg