Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Luxor Egypt WW1-Garrison?

domsim

Hi guys

I'm doing a bit of research on military activity in the Luxor area-does anybody how things were organized in terms of a military presence in larger towns in Egypt in this period more especially Luxor? I presume the Egyptian Army predominated? I know there was an allied convalescent hospital based on the Hotels in Luxor but I am more interested to see if the was any base or garrison?

Thanks

Dom.

Hi David

Looks interesting & one for the list. Thankyou

all the best

Dom.

Mate,

Luxor gets a number of mentions by us but no where does it say what unit are there.

The major mention is our Relief Force sent in March 1919 to save who ever was there?

Luxor is mentioned at other times for officers being attached during 1915 and the Senssui infestation along the Nile

S.B

Thanks Steve yes I've seen some of those references.

D.

Mate,

Its hard to find units there, but most Aussies in 1915 were going to the Conv Hosp at Luzor

These are men from Gallipoli and medical personal.

So there maybe a Gen hosp as well as the conv Hosp?

The ALH force sent to relieve the place in March 1919 appears to be a scatch force from many Regts and Bdes

No mention in the Offical history for some reason I know a well known LH Commander lead the force, but I am can't find out who at present.

EVANS    David Walter    213    Bugler    12 LHR    A Sqn to B Sqn 4 Troop att DSqn/7 LHR 8-15 evac to (15 BGH) hosp (influ - rheum) 12-15 to conv depot Luxor 12-15 (G) rtn 2-16 to Dvr 35Co AASC Aust MDT 8-17 to hosp (malaria) 10-18 RTA MU 

BILLINGTON    Richard Stewart    707    A/Sgt    05 LHR    2R tos Pte C Sqn 7-15 to Cpl 7-15 to T/Sgt 10-15 to Sgt (from Fraser) 11-15 (G) prom 2/Lt B Sqn possibly B Troop (from Rutherford) 23-7-16 T/att Orderly Officer to CO 2 LH Bde HQ 5-17 rtn B Sqn ? Troop 6-17 att school of Instruction (unknown course) Zeitoun 8-17 rtn 9-17 MC - for his actions at Ras el Ain near Mulebbis 27-11-17 to staff trainee 2 LH Bde HQ 1-18 att Anzac MD HQ 3-18 att 18 Bde RHA 4-18 att staff trg 60th Div 5-18 rtn ? Troop BSqn/05 LHR 5-18 att training in Hindustani with 34th Poona Horse 7-18 rtn 05 LHR 1-19 att Luxor Relief Force 3-19 rtn 4-19 prom T/Capt B Sqn 6-19 later WWII Capt 5 LH 1941

Sorry

Edited by stevenbecker

On 21/06/2023 at 00:28, stevenbecker said:

Relief Force sent in March 1919 to save who ever was there?

This is probably what prompted the sending of a 'relief force'

“... seven Britons were killed in the events of 18th March 1919 in and near Deirut, between Assiut and Minia. The seven were Alexander Pope, Inspector of Prisons, Upper Egypt; Major Cecil Jarvis of 20th Decca House in the India Army; R.F.B. Willsy, Staff Lieutenant; plus Summersgill, Peacock, Culyer and Private Reading. All were unarmed in the first class carriage on the train from Luxor to Assiut.” 
from The British Community in Occupied Cairo, 1882-1922 by Lanver Mak 
This incident was also the subject of a previous thread -

Thanks guys

I was aware of the 1919 incident on the train and the resultant military activity & thanks for the convalescent material Steve. As I said I'm really more interested in any record of a military garrison early in the war-1914-16 period. I think this will mainly be Egyptian Army if there is one and will have to do more Googling to find a way in.

Thanks for the link Michael I will check that out.

All the best

Dom.