Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

LIBERTY TRUCK, DID THE ENGLISH HAVE LIB TRUCKS?

RICHARD1959

16 hours ago, RICHARD1959 said:

Picture 1 of 3

I hope you mean British rather than English, which is an American trope and very irritating!  The British Army deployed a wide range of trucks during WW1 to meet demand, some of them were supplied by the U.S. but the liberty truck was not among them.  They, the trucks, were a part of the “mechanical transport” (MT) function of the Army Service Corps (ASC), as is depicted on your match box cover.

Edited by FROGSMILE

12 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

I hope you mean British rather than English, which is an American trope and very irritating!

Yes I hoped that too.

I'd hoped for a "Please" in such a OP/thread

Now hoping for a "Thank you" for Frogsmile.

Sorry, getting it off my chest - iirc, both seem rare in many posts from this member :(

M

Edited by Matlock1418

39 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

I'd hoped for a "Please" in such a OP/thread

Now hoping for a "Thank you" for Frogsmile.

Sorry, getting it off my chest - iirc, both seem rare in many posts from this member :(

M

I understand your sentiment entirely and share it on occasion, but in this case I understand from previous communications in the forum that the correspondent does have some handicaps that unfortunately inhibit him.

Edited by FROGSMILE

6 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

I understand your sentiment entirely and share it on occasion, but in this case I understand from previous communications in the forum that the correspondent does have some handicaps that unfortunately inhibit him.

Ah, that does offer an explanation = I apolgise to @RICHARD1959 if I have misinterpreted the situation - though of course from other members such etiquette remains highly desirable.

M

Edited by Matlock1418

8 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

This thread might have some useful information:

The Four Wheel Drive Model B was one truck purchased from the USA by the British Army as a stop gap.  Initially around 50 of them I think.

IMG_8303.jpeg

IMG_8302.jpeg

IMG_8304.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Sorry if I OFENDED ANYONE. I do apologize to Frogsmile.

However I think some of the members see thin skinned and easily offended over minor comments.

You guys have provided me a wealth of information. For that I that I thank you all

Richard, the American manufacturers who supplied vehicles to Great Britain were Packard, Peerless, Garford, Kelly-Springfield, Locomobile, Pierce-Arrow, Mack, Jeffery, Autocar, Ford, Willys, White, Clydesdale, Seabrook-Standard and FWD. No Liberty trucks were supplied at all.      Pete.

20 minutes ago, RICHARD1959 said:

Hi thanks for your response.

I'M A LTTLE CONFUSED, THEVIMAGE SHOWS A LIB TRUCK LABELED AS Aimage.png.16334982f1981a8fe29a3bd0592e1976.png 

The image you show is of no particular vehicle, it is just a generic impression of a typical Great War lorry. The nearest to it in my opinion is the Commer models with the chain drive covers at the rear.     Pete.

13 minutes ago, RICHARD1959 said:

Could this be post GW?

I don't think so, it's a typical wartime thing.      Pete.

1 hour ago, RICHARD1959 said:

Could this be post GW?

Pete has given you good advice, it’s a generic image Richard, but probably modelled on the Commer.  Liberty truck manufacture only really got underway towards the end of the war with not many arriving with the US Army in France before the Armistice.  As I mentioned in my initial answer to you, none were supplied to the British.

IMG_8320.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Interestingly, if anybody is looking at buying an ex US Army Standardized Liberty B, there are two up for auction here. One has been though a post war Willeme rebuild, but the other still looks quite original.

Some other interesting WW1 trucks up for sale as well. I am curious to see what prices they will make:

Collection de 31 Véhicules Camions WWI et Autres, vente aux enchères, le 27 juin 2023 à | Interencheres.com