Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Officers ammunition pouch

ASIL76

Hi All,

Dose anyone know if this Is this First World War or Late Victorian Boer war?? Officers ammunition pouch.

Thanks for any info on this this. 😊

IMG_6631.jpeg

IMG_6632.jpeg

IMG_6638.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I’m surprised nobody has answered sooner, Sam Browne equipment was not issued but privately purchased and most are undated which could place it anytime from ore Boer war to post WW1. You could try searching the maker on something like graces guide to give you a rough date when they were working 

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your replay. How would you know the maker? The name on the back is who it belonged to LTD W. Thomlinson which is why I thought it was WW1 as he did a lot in the Durham Light Infantry during this time. But I’m not sure how many years service he had before this time. 
Thank you so much for your help 😊

22 minutes ago, ASIL76 said:

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your replay. How would you know the maker? The name on the back is who it belonged to LTD W. Thomlinson which is why I thought it was WW1 as he did a lot in the Durham Light Infantry during this time. But I’m not sure how many years service he had before this time. 
Thank you so much for your help 😊

Hi,

I think Tomlinson Ltd is the maker.

D.

4 minutes ago, derekb said:

Hi,

I think Tomlinson Ltd is the maker.

D.

This item has been offered at auction, “A WWI W. Thomlinson Ltd leather gun/barrel carrier, dated 1915, stamped on the strap, possibly for a Vickers, with broad arrow and 59 stamped to the reverse”

Derek

W Tomlinson Ltd is definitely the maker and no the officer😃

1 hour ago, ASIL76 said:

Hmm, this is the only hit I got with good old google. http://www.hhtandn.org/person/54/thomlinson,-william

A good possibility is,

William Thomlinson Ltd. Greenbank leather works, Partick, Glasgow.
Makers of the buttonless T-panel football. 

I’ve just been doing some more googling and that came up. Would they have made gun cases and ammo pouches too? Could see a year they were active for. 

6 minutes ago, ASIL76 said:

I’ve just been doing some more googling and that came up. Would they have made gun cases and ammo pouches too? Could see a year they were active for. 

They were making shoes, saddles and footballs pre and post war. They’d have been ideally suited to making a range of military equipment if awarded a wartime contract. 

Hmmm interesting. I feel a bit silly thinking it was the officer name rather than the makers mark. 🤦‍♀️ 

I’ll do some more research to try and see what they did during the war years. I’ve come across another gun case for the 40s with the same name marked on it. 

• 4 weeks later...

The word Atter seems to be scratched on to the rear of the pouch. Atter is a valid surname and may well be the name of the original owner.