Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Was this spot an identifiable cemetery?

Chris_Baker

On 1 January 1920, the remains of several men who had been killed in November 1917 while serving with the 20th Royal Fusiliers were exhumed and reburied in Tyne Cot Cemetery. They were found at Sheet 28NE, D.12.c.70.80, a spot just south of Passchendaele. Their graves had been marked by crosses.

My question is: was this just a small un-named battlefield plot, or something perhaps slightly larger that could have been identified as a named cemetery?

All info welcomed.

The original cemetery list doesn’t show any cemetery at this location Chris so would assume these were battlefield graves. The Body Density map shows 81 registered graves for D.12.c

1 hour ago, Chris_Baker said:

just a small un-named battlefield plot

Chris, while noting that absence of evidence is not evidence, none of the maps from the Messer Collection (normally called Body Density) show anything.  Likewise, the White Cross Atlas show lots of of cemeteries, many of which don't exist today.  They also have nothing in this area.

image.png.8595539aaebf9f41d31c5d77ac5af5c9.png

Thank you, both. If anyone comes up with anything more I would be pleased to hear of it.

(I should add that I have checked out VIII Corps' Adjutant, DDMS and GS diaries and cannot see a definite reference to a cemetery there).

Edited by Chris_Baker