Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Research help please - Royal Marine/life saving

adam1981

Hello, I am researching a gent called Thomas Francis Rainbow who had a long service with the Royal Marines. At the top of the medals and clasps section of his service record is what I had assumed to be a Royal Humane Society Life Saving medal, but looking at it again, I am unsure. Does anyone know what this is? and if so, if citations/details are available?

image.png.2b99118c89ae1a2cc65c59a01516bbc9.png

Royal Life Saving Society Medallion & Certificate

Spoiler

The Fleet Air Arm Museum (National Museum of the Royal Navy) holds in its archive an Attestation Pack of papers for this man, running from enlistment to discharge to pension. It is possible (not guaranteed) that documents or correspondence relating to the Life Saving Medallion are included in this pack which documents his RMLI career. You would need to visit FAAM or pay for copies.

Edited by horatio2

The Royal Lifesaving Society medallion was an award for acquiring skills and proficiency that would be useful in preventing drowning incidents and help safeguard lives on or near water - it wasn’t issued in recognition of specific acts of lifesaving and shouldn’t be confused with Royal Humane Society Medals.

MB

IMG_2110.jpeg

31 minutes ago, KizmeRD said:

The Royal Lifesaving Society medallion was an award for acquiring skills and proficiency that would be useful in preventing drowning incidents and help safeguard lives on or near water - it wasn’t issued in recognition of specific acts of lifesaving and shouldn’t be confused with Royal Humane Society Medals.

MB

IMG_2110.jpeg

Ah right, I didn't know this and thought it was awarded relating to a specific incident. Many thanks for clarifying. 

3 hours ago, horatio2 said:

The Fleet Air Arm Museum (National Museum of the Royal Navy) holds in its archive an Attestation Pack of papers for this man, running from enlistment to discharge to pension. It is possible (not guaranteed) that documents or correspondence relating to the Life Saving Medallion are included in this pack which documents his RMLI career. You would need to visit FAAM or pay for copies.

Thanks, how do you know they specifically have an attestation pack for this man?

20 minutes ago, adam1981 said:

how do you know they specifically have an attestation pack for this man?

From my research into RMLI records.

"Tc medal", I believe this is a note that usually appears as "Traced medal" and records that the necessary qualifications for award of the LS& GC Medal have been checked. In this case the actual medal was awarded three months after the 'trace' was carried out.