Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

In flight image leaving what appears to be Toul-Croix de Metz Airfield (photo question)

PRMcCoy

Image from my G grandfather's scrapbook. I looked around a bit and couldn't find anything of or relating to the image. Originally was wondering if it was Signal Corp photo that was mass produced for distribution but I don't see a watermark or "US Official" anywhere. Does anyone know any history to this photograph and if not know of anyone that could possibly know specifics? Very intriguing. You figure planes had been around a dozen or so years, camera of that quality about the same. Here is a military photographer hanging out the back of a warbird. The person who took the photo was not my G grandfather, he was infantry in the US 89th. Thanks.

airfield.jpg

29 minutes ago, PRMcCoy said:

Image from my G grandfather's scrapbook. I looked around a bit and couldn't find anything of or relating to the image. Originally was wondering if it was Signal Corp photo that was mass produced for distribution but I don't see a watermark or "US Official" anywhere. Does anyone know any history to this photograph and if not know of anyone that could possibly know specifics? Very intriguing. You figure planes had been around a dozen or so years, camera of that quality about the same. Here is a military photographer hanging out the back of a warbird. The person who took the photo was not my G grandfather, he was infantry in the US 89th. Thanks.

airfield.jpg

Hello PRMcCoy

Lieutenant Henry L Graves who took a series of aerial photographs during World War One including shots of the airfield near Toul. The collection can be viewed at https://www.flickr.com/photos/north-carolina-state-archives/with/29248785343/ 

I wonder if your image was taken by that officer.

Kind regards

Gunner 87

23 minutes ago, Gunner 87 said:

Hello PRMcCoy

Lieutenant Henry L Graves who took a series of aerial photographs during World War One including shots of the airfield near Toul. The collection can be viewed at https://www.flickr.com/photos/north-carolina-state-archives/with/29248785343/ 

I wonder if your image was taken by that officer.

Kind regards

Gunner 87

Gunner, excellent. It may just be. I'd assume many weren't taking these photos. I will see if I can find anyone more familiar with Lt.'s work.

I did find this about the Lt., Gunner had mentioned.

On August 18, 1918, the 278th Aero Squadron left the port of New York City for Brest, France. After arriving in France, the unit moved to the town of Autreville in November 1918, where it was involved in 18 hours of operations over enemy lines. On November 10, 1918, the 278th Aero Squadron moved to the Aerodrome at Toul, France.

Looking more promising.