Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private Clifford Morris, Cameron Highlanders

Mark Hone

While trawling through the school archives I have discovered that an old boy killed in the war was unfortunately left off the school war memorial. He was Private Clifford Morris of 1st Cameron Highlanders who died on 16th August 1916 aged 19. Probably because he came from Rochdale rather than Bury itself the school only became aware that he had been killed in 1920, after the war memorial had been commissioned. Sadly he has also escaped commemoration on the new war memorial installed in the Boys' School hall in the early 1990's (the original is in what is now the Girls' School). He is the 98th former pupil of the school known to have died in the war. He is buried at Caterpillar Valley cemetery and I intend to include a visit to his grave on our Somme commemoration tour next year. From perusal of 'British Battalions on the Somme' he seems to have been killed while the battalion was holding trenches near Bazentin-Le-Petit Wood, but if anyone has further details I would be delighted to hear from them. He does not have an obituary in the Bury Times, but I am planning to visit Rochdale library next week to look at the local papers there.

Mark...........As John has said good find..........any chance Clifford will be added to the newer of the memorials?

Will -I have thought of that. There should be space, and it's in the same style as the panels listing Headmasters and School Captains, wood with gold lettering. The School Captains' one is updated every year so it is eminently possible. The one problem really is that the new name would stick out as it wouldn't be in alphabetical order, but I will pursue the matter further

I'd say b----r alphabetical order and get his name up there. Similar transgressions against neat and tidy presentation on war memorials worldwide as names were added in later years. A proud tradition.

Will -I have thought of that. There should be space, and it's in the same style as the panels listing Headmasters and School Captains, wood with gold lettering. The School Captains' one is updated every year so it is eminently possible. The one problem really is that the new name would stick out as it wouldn't be in alphabetical order, but I will pursue the matter further

Mark............He deserves to have his name up there so I'd agree with Ian's comments............I hope the powers that be at the school see it the same way............Here's hoping ;)