Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regiment identification

JS2112

It's very difficult to see the cap badge here but can anyone ID the regiment and explain the significance of the armbands for me.

Many thanks in anticipation,

John

Soldier.jpg

• Admin

I agree with Dai. 

Equipped as a linesman I think, signals service of the Corps of Royal Engineers.

He wears a Royal Engineers cap badge and the signals service adopted arm bands in bright blue and white in a half and half configuration.  The colours used were the same as those adopted years before for Army semaphore flag signalling.  The Royal Navy used red and yellow.  For historical detail see:

https://royal-signals.org.uk/Datasheets/SignallingFlags.php

IMG_8183.jpeg

IMG_8184.jpeg

IMG_8185.jpeg

IMG_8192.jpeg

IMG_8191.jpeg

IMG_8193.jpeg

IMG_8194.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

13 minutes ago, JS2112 said:

Thanks for this information everyone, very helpful.

John

He might also have been a motorcycle dispatch rider of the signal service, but in the field such men usually wore goggles wrapped around their cap as a sort of badge of office by which they could instantly be recognised.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Coloured armbands were used to indicate the special services the man was engaged in, so he had a legitimate reason for passing up and down the trenches and would not get rounded up by the Battle Police and sent over the top with everyone else.  The blue-and-white colours carried over into the Royal Signals when that Corps was set up after the war.