Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Meaning of Class 2B and Class 1B in hospital records

Rockford

Hello

I am researching a soldier who was evacuated for medical reasons, initially due to PUO and then influenza.

He went through the stages of being treated initially at a field ambulance, then a CCS, then transfer via Ambulance Train to No. 1 Stationary Hospital at Rouen.  However, there is a note in his record of service paperwork showing that he was "discharged Class 2B to Havre, and then a further annotation that looks like Class 1B 16 days before he was sent back to his battalion.

Can anyone explain or point me to a list of what the references to Class 2B and Class 1B might mean in this context? I assume that they relate to levels of fitness of duty, but it would be good to have the official meaning.

Best wishes

Brian

Edited by Rockford

Hi Brian - I can't find a number system reference but the offical histories of the med services do refer to "stretcher cases" vs "walking cases" which may be part of it, then seem to subdivide into wounded, sick, shell shock.  Possible that "2" could be stretcher case, "1" walking?  Perhaps B refers to type of casualty (sick/wounded etc?  Afraid cannot as yet be more clear!

Andrew 

Hi Andrew

Your suggestions are very helpful, and make perfect sense. 

Thanks for replying. 

Brian

• 4 weeks later...

Hi.

I believe these may the medical categories used to state a soldier's state of fitness and therefore how they could be deployed, with A1 being the top, i.e. fit for general service. This thread which quotes the relevant Army Council Instruction may be of help: 

regards,

David.

Hello David

Thank you for this. It's very helpful and shows the connection between the codes and description  - which is what I was after.

Best wishes

Brian