Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ww1 small silver soldier unknown

francisjames

I was given this small soldier by a old women for my 16th birthday who brought me up she was window she was in the RAF and during the 2nd world war she provided catering services and food for the British service men at war during that time a high ranking officer gave this to her and told her to keep it safe, he said it was from the 1st world war, does anyone have an ideal of what it is I cant find any matches online via AI search programmes, nothing matches in detail with the imprint, would be greatful for any information about as  this women ment the world to me 

IMG_20230611_190604.jpg

IMG_20230611_190652.jpg

IMG_20230611_190735.jpg

Looks like it’s missing something from the back, assayed in Birmingham, the front leg has what looks like a small r, dating it to 1916/17, the back has the full hallmark but looks to be a capital R which would date it to 1941/2!

Is it solid or does it come apart?, just wondering if it’s a novelty Vesta case

Dave.

Edited by Dave66

The figure appears to be wearing puttees and the small ring suggests it may have hung from a chain or similar, although I think it is too big to be worn on a necklace.

Sue

20 minutes ago, Dave66 said:

Looks like it’s missing something from the back, assayed in Birmingham, the front leg has what looks like a small r, dating it to 1916/17, the back has the full hallmark but looks to be a capital R which would date it to 1941/2!

Is it solid or does it come apart?, just wondering if it’s a novelty Vesta case

Dave.

hi Dave assayed in birmingham? it's not solid rather hollow but doesn't come apart.

59 minutes ago, Gardenerbill said:

It looks like a charm bracelet piece.

Yes I think you’re right.  It’s a typical silver charm of a type popular for collecting and wearing around the wrist on a chain, I think they were described as ‘bracelet charms’.  My mother had one, and they were quite common and relatively affordable jewellery for the emerging middle classes.

IMG_8181.jpeg

IMG_8180.jpeg

IMG_8182.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 hour ago, Dave66 said:

that's the closest thing that came up on the ai Google search but their is nothing online that's looks the same those charms I seen and looked at the back of them and on the front and bottom nothing like them when you look at it closer the markings and style and even colouring is completely different, I've basically got as far as that myself already and realised it doesnt even look like them closer up.

I thought to myself their has to surly be someone that might know more or maybe have something similar, but as for a charm they don't match, not one bit, thanks tho guys appreciate you all so far 

1 hour ago, francisjames said:

that's the closest thing that came up on the ai Google search but their is nothing online that's looks the same those charms I seen and looked at the back of them and on the front and bottom nothing like them when you look at it closer the markings and style and even colouring is completely different, I've basically got as far as that myself already and realised it doesnt even look like them closer up.

I thought to myself their has to surly be someone that might know more or maybe have something similar, but as for a charm they don't match, not one bit, thanks tho guys appreciate you all so far 

Not all charms are finely worked high quality pieces.  You might consider working your thoughts in reverse - if it’s not a charm then what else could it conceivably be given it’s size and quality.  Is it big enough to be a watch fob?  It doesn’t seem like it.  Some other things to consider are that the soldier shown does not appear to be British.  A cross strap forming an X on the chest hadn’t been used since the early to mid 1800s.  Also for a British soldier the rifle should be sloped on the left shoulder, but instead its butt is cupped in the right hand at the right shoulder, a practice not used in Britain, but still common in e.g. the Balkan wars 1912-1913.  Secondly, is it a British Assaye mark? 

Edited by FROGSMILE

I did recall her saying the pin was missing from that back but I wouldn't know what it would be pinned onto if so, very interesting reply I will work on this as I didn't know about the X on the chest, would you know anyone who it might be worth taking it too to have a look at? I can see some writing on the back of the back pack but I'm just unsure exactly as what the markings are because it's so small. thanks for your reply @frogsmile, much appreciated 💫

18 minutes ago, francisjames said:

I did recall her saying the pin was missing from that back but I wouldn't know what it would be pinned onto if so, very interesting reply I will work on this as I didn't know about the X on the chest, would you know anyone who it might be worth taking it too to have a look at? I can see some writing on the back of the back pack but I'm just unsure exactly as what the markings are because it's so small. thanks for your reply @frogsmile, much appreciated 💫

There wouldn’t have been much point in having a pin on the back in its original configuration.  The loop on top is clearly the intended method of suspension from some chain, or other, although a pin might’ve been fitted retrospectively by someone wishing to convert it into a brooch.

Edited by FROGSMILE