Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Spycker

MikeW

Towards the end of January 1918, No.2 Squadron RNAS relocated from St. Pol to Bergues - the actual date when the aircraft transferred being the 28th January 1918, NOT the 26th as every text book will tell you (my reference No.2 Sqn RNAS Daily Ops Book). No.13 Squadron also relocated to Bergues around this time.  

Now, No.2 Squadron Headquarters relocated to Spycker, a smallish French village with a Flemish name, a bit to the west of Bergues, south of St. Pol. (my ref Observer Sub-Lt Russell's Log Book).

What sort of accommodation would the Squadron Headquarters have needed to take over? I assume the Intelligence, Engineering, Gunnery, W/T, Stores and photographic officers, and probably the C.O., all had "offices" on the aerodrome, so would this have just been living accommodation or would there have been offices and clerical work going on?

The No.1 Wing Photographic Section remained at St Pol, but fairly rapidly moved nearer to Bergues (secondary reference The Dover Patrol by Vice Admiral Bacon) as it was mainly 2 Squadron that made use of their services  (or did Seaplane Photo Reconnaissance still take place from Dunkirk in 1918?).

I can't find much about Spycker, other than a planned aerodrome was abandoned.

Mike