Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform Identification/Date

victoriamarie

Can anyone identify the uniform the man in this wedding photo is wearing? And is there any indicators towards what date it could be? There's no information on the back aside from that it's a postcard and the photographer was Empire Studios in Leeds.

Unknown wedding photo.jpg

• Admin

Royal Engineers, he’s wearing what looks like 4 overseas service chevrons and one good conduct stipe. The brassards could be signal service. 

We should be able to date it quite closely.

Four overseas service chevrons - none of them red.

See this page:

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/tips-for-interpreting-photographs-of-men-in-uniform/whats-that-on-his-sleeve-an-overseas-service-chevron/

If you think about it the earliest it could be would be in theory 1 January 1918, but in practice a bit later.

35 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Royal Engineers, he’s wearing what looks like 4 overseas service chevrons and one good conduct stipe. The brassards could be signal service. 

Yes I think you’re right Michelle, the twin brassards does suggest the Signals Service of the Royal Engineers. 

IMG_8148.jpeg

IMG_8149.jpeg

IMG_8150.jpeg

IMG_8151.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

6 minutes ago, rolt968 said:

We should be able to date it quite closely.

Four overseas service chevrons - none of them red.

See this page:

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/tips-for-interpreting-photographs-of-men-in-uniform/whats-that-on-his-sleeve-an-overseas-service-chevron/

If you think about it the earliest it could be would be in theory 1 January 1918, but in practice a bit later.

Thank you

There was a name of the photographer on the back and I just quite quickly managed to find him on Ancestry and he died in 1929, so that gives us an 11 year window

23 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Thank you Michelle! Royal Engineers definitely rings a bell for someone in my family, but will have to check

16 minutes ago, victoriamarie said:

Thank you

There was a name of the photographer on the back and I just quite quickly managed to find him on Ancestry and he died in 1929, so that gives us an 11 year window

Thank you Michelle! Royal Engineers definitely rings a bell for someone in my family, but will have to check

Much less than that. Someone on the forum will know more exactly. I don't think overseas service chevron were worn in uniform much, if at all after 1920.

Edited by rolt968

I would date the photo to 1918 as there is no sign of a 1914-1915 Star ribbon which was authorised in December 1918. There is a possibility it is hidden by the bandolier but that would be unlikely. The Overseas Service Chevrons were authorised in December 1917.    Pete.