Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ox and Bucks LI CSM badge

Ewan D

Hi all, I was just wondering if the CSM badge worn by WO2s in the Ox and Bucks on their SD tunics was the Rifle Green colour of Rifle regiments or the normal khaki colour? 

Thanks in advance.

6 minutes ago, Ewan D said:

Hi all, I was just wondering if the CSM badge worn by WO2s in the Ox and Bucks on their SD tunics was the Rifle Green colour of Rifle regiments or the normal khaki colour? 

Thanks in advance.

It was the normal drab khaki colour.  The association with rifles did not occur until the creation of the Green Jackets Brigade in the post WW2 period.  I always feel deeply sad for all the of light infantry battalions.  In my opinion, based on long study, they were betrayed on the altar of Rifle Regiment exceptionalism, starting with the OBLI, but reaching a shameful zenith with the establishment of ‘The Rifles’.  All light infantry were scarlet clad and highly elite.  I cannot thing of any other British Army infantry type that has disappeared (been sacrificed) in the way that the Light Infantry has.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Just now, FROGSMILE said:

It was the normal drab khaki colour.

Brilliant, thank you 

7 minutes ago, Ewan D said:

Brilliant, thank you 

I’m glad to help. The OBLI were a very fine regiment indeed and with several unique dress traditions.

Edited by FROGSMILE