Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bayonet identification

Shsknives

I recently inherited a bunch of bayonets from my father and I’m trying to identify them, any info would be appreciated! Here’s the first one.

BDEF9DBA-DCA2-412B-AA98-2BF9500F4F69.jpeg

6E5B8FF6-F17F-4D00-AD38-40C23E50E858.jpeg

CEEC3997-89C1-4F2D-804E-3E9DF3E29E9E.jpeg

What you've got there is a Swedish M1896 bayonet by the looks of it.

I just picked up a Swedish M1914 myself, and noticing the shape and style of the scabbard and the look of the blade right after the crossguard caught my eye when I saw yours.

Very nice! Looking forward to seeing what else you've got.

Also, look into researching the markings on the bayonets, alongside identifying the bayonets themselves. The markings add to the history, historical value, and can help to tell a wonderful story about its life, where it's been, if it was used in service or just surplus, and so on.

Edited by ColonelKlink1942

The bayonet M1896 should be postwar refurbishment as the EAB Erik Anton Berg in Eskilstuna did make some repairs with new blades, is the grip serialed to blade. The scabbard should be matching too.

I would tend to different country as Russian , as it dont have wire cutter device on end of scabbard and on blade hole for it and sawback. Question remains how large is the MRD of ring.

Edited by AndyBsk

• 2 months later...

I believe

First bayonet is a Hungarian produced, M1895 made by  "Fegyver És Gépgyár" in Budapest 

The second one is a shortened French M1886/15.  Some were shortened by the French inter-war and known as the M1886/35, others were shortened by the Germans for their use, I am uncertain if they can be reliably distinguished (although I have a feeling the lengths and the nature of the point differed.)

Chris

AS corectly deciphered by Chris, the first one is a ugrian M95 rifle  bayonet which was refurbished by Bulgarians, note the large rivets in crossguard and bulgarian frog.Similar bayonets are cheap on the market as not origin condition. Second one is not complete as there is missing the locking safety in crossguard, wout it it would be not fixed on rifle. As mentioned by 34cm blade it could be german shortage of M1886/15 or its period french shortage.

On 08/06/2023 at 23:44, Shsknives said:

Perfect! I’ve got another one here I’m wondering about as well.

31F142F3-8676-4CE0-9FDA-26FC491EE911.jpeg

5034543F-92F4-4F98-B945-43F987C1131F.jpeg

27D1005E-6949-4514-8062-296925B763A9.jpeg

Info from worldbayonets

This is Chinese AKM typ II

Knife bayonet for use with the semi-automatic 7.62 mm. AKM assault rifles commercially exported in the 1980s by Polytech and NORINCO (China North Industries Corporation).
Essentially, a copy of the Russian 6X4 (AKM Type II) bayonet, except that the sawback and wire-cutter features have been eliminated.