Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

National WW1 Museum- Kansas City

smawson44

Hello,

I am looking into my summer travel and considering going to Kansas City for the USA's National WW1 Museum.  If I went I would be going primarily to see the museum.  If you have been there, is the museum worth it?  How long did you spend visiting the Museum?  Any other tips about sightseeing in Kansas City?

Thanks,

Simon

Hi,

I'm a relatively new member, perhaps my first post, so I don't really know anything about you to help evaluate whether it is worth it for you to go there.

If you are going there from Chicago, definitely worth the trip. If you are starting in London, probably not worth it. If you are starting in London and visiting the US anyway, then yes, probably worth adding it as a side trip.

I can tell you that it is an excellent museum. I was there 3-4 hours. I was surprised at how comprehensive it is, not just focused on the US.

FWIW, I have been to the museums around Ypres and Verdun and thought this was better than anything that I saw at any of them. However, it did not blow me away the way the Royal Museum in Brussels did though. Hopefully, that helps. I would be happy to answer any other questions. Also, if you have been to a lot of WWI museums, I'm not sure if you are likely to see anything in KC that you haven't seen before.

I'm racking my brain trying to remember what else I did in KC, but nothing is coming to mind. I travel a fair amount, so I get things confused after a while. The downside to visiting KC is that it isn't particularly close to anything else either.

p.s. Make sure to try some BBQ ribs if you do go there.

Rob