Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fort Büsmüth?

elixir373

Hi all,

Yesterday, I received this extract from an 'Eisernbuch' in the Stadtarchiv Warburg, concerning a family history I am researching. The only thing I'm not sure about is what appears to read 'Fort Büsmüth' at the very end (I think this is a 'B', rather than an 'R', as it matches the 'B' in 'Brust'). Does anyone know what this says, and/or where this might have been located? So far, searches of this and other potential names have not returned anything.

The soldier in question, Siegfried 'Fritz' Schild, was killed in Brimont, just north of Reims. According to a letter sent from what was then the Deutsche Dienststelle-WASt to a previous researcher some years ago, he was initially buried in Bourgogne (as in the town, also near Reims, rather than the region), but then later moved to the German military cemetery in St. Etienne-à-Arnes. I'd like to establish if Fort Büsmüth was in/around Bourgogne, or if Fritz was in fact buried on three separate occasions.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Eisernbuch Eintrag Schild - Stadtarchiv Warburg.jpg

Hi,

as a native speaker I, too, read Büsmüth. I think that it is a name of a fort near Reims that sounds similar to "Büsmüth" but was/is written differently originally. That happenend quite often in German documents relating to French or Belgian names.

GreyC

1 hour ago, GreyC said:

I asked around at the German forum for WW1

https://www.feldgrau-forum.com

the Prussian (also a member here) suggests Brimont as a possible burial place, dead north of Reims.

GreyC

I agree that it is just a transcription error of Brimont.

Thank you all for your replies; so it appears he was buried near where he fell, and then reburied once the permanent military cemeteries had been established.