Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

How to refer to airships/Zeppelins

knittinganddeath

Are airships/Zeppelins/rigid dirigibles referred to as "she" like seagoing ships?

Thanks for any help.

1 hour ago, knittinganddeath said:

Are airships/Zeppelins/rigid dirigibles referred to as "she" like seagoing ships?

Thanks for any help.

I think it is common usage that any ‘ship’ is referred to as she.  I understand even tanks (land ships) were referred to in that way.  Given German rules of grammar and their use of zeppelins, are they der, die, or das?

Edited by FROGSMILE

In German, it’s das Schiff (the ship) and das Luftschiff (the airship) - i.e. neutral gender.

MB

1 hour ago, KizmeRD said:

In German, it’s das Schiff (the ship) and das Luftschiff (the airship) - i.e. neutral gender.

MB

Thanks MB.  I wonder if in the vernacular German mariners referred to their ships as she.  I have no idea, but I’ll be surprised if they don’t as I’d thought it had become quite a universal thing.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Its simply that different languages and different cultures do things differently, even in UK there have been moves afoot over recent years to move away from the female personification of ships, for example the shipping newspaper Lloyd’s List has now started using gender-neutral terms - hence you commonly see ‘it’ being used, and many maritime museums have also made the change, reflecting changes in modern society.

MB

4 minutes ago, KizmeRD said:

Its simply that different languages and different cultures do things differently, even in UK there have been moves afoot over recent years to move away from the female personification of ships, for example the shipping newspaper Lloyd’s List has now started using gender-neutral terms - hence you commonly see ‘it’ being used, and many maritime museums have also made the change, reflecting changes in modern society.

MB

Yes I understand the broad point and changes in society too.  What I’m asking is what the German practice was in general speech during WW1.  I’m sure that there will be some evidence somewhere.

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 hour ago, KizmeRD said:

That is correct, however all naval and merchant vessels up to 1918 were refered to as "she" except "der" IMPERATOR.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

2 minutes ago, GreyC said:

That is correct, however all naval and merchant vessels up to 1918 were reffered to as "she" except "der IMPERATOR.

GreyC

Thanks GreyC, I was sure that you’d be able to explain it.

What about airships like the Zeppelins, Hindenberg, etc?

Edited by FROGSMILE

It is der Zeppelin Hindenburg, das Luftschiff Hindenburg and die Hindenburg. ;-)

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

2 minutes ago, GreyC said:

It is der Zeppelin Hindenburg, das Luftschiff Hindenburg und die Hindenburg. ;-)

GreyC

I shouldn’t have asked…🤯
And the Kapitan would say - “she is cruising well tonight”…

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thanks all for your input. I think I'll attempt for once in my life to be modern and go with "it" ;-)

25 minutes ago, KizmeRD said:

hence you commonly see ‘it’ being used, and many maritime museums have also made the change, reflecting changes in modern society.

30 minutes ago, GreyC said:

It is der Zeppelin Hindenburg, das Luftschiff Hindenburg and die Hindenburg. ;-)

GreyC

… and this is certainly not the forum to complicate things even further by introducing accusative, dative and genitive forms!😲🙄😵‍💫🥱
MB

Edited by KizmeRD

10 minutes ago, KizmeRD said:

and this is certainly not the forum to complicate things even further by introducing accusative, dative and genitive forms! 

that´s why I didn´t.

GreyC

3 hours ago, KizmeRD said:

MB

"Das Boot"  the boat - 1981 movie.

Edited by RNCVR

‘das’ with just one ‘s’ (das Boot).

Interestingly (frustratingly) I believe it’s also possible to see written ‘das Luftschiff, der Zeppelin, die Zeppelin LZ129,

der LZ129 ‘Hindenburg’ (all correct German), but perhaps @GreyC will kindly correct me if I’m wrong.

(There are six ways simply to say ‘the’ in German). 😧

MB

Edited by KizmeRD

Hi,

9 minutes ago, KizmeRD said:

das Luftschiff, der Zeppelin

yes.

die Zeppelin LZ129

no

der LZ129 ‘Hindenburg

not really. Better "der Zeppelin LZ 129 Hindenburg".

GreyC