Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

How did Tanks cross friendly lines

Culp

This may be a stupid question. I'm reading a lot about tanks at the moment. I'm reading about fascines and cribs carried to help them cross German trenches. The question occurred to me

When going into battle, how did the tanks cross friendly lines before getting to the German ones?

I can't find anything in the books

Thanks

They would take roads (although not plank roads) and they were notorious for damaging telephone wires and light railway tracks. These references come from the Canadian Engineers files of the National Archives of Canada. I am doing my Phd on the subject of the Canadian Engineers so I will have a section on damage done to roads and railways by friendly forces.

Mate,

from what I read, Tanks were moved to there assembly area on roads, until having to go to a FUP.

The paths were marked, so they were pre prep to move cross country

I had not heard of filling in trenches, but when you think about it, it does sound logical.

The again there are a lot of filling to do, as there was more then one line of freindly trenches to cross.

There was always a guide to lead the way as a column of Tanks is noisy and a big target

Interesting reading is the Aussie battles at Hamel and Amiens, where Monash had many ways to hide the move by Tanks.

Cheers

On 05/06/2023 at 22:33, Culp said:

This may be a stupid question. I'm reading a lot about tanks at the moment. I'm reading about fascines and cribs carried to help them cross German trenches. The question occurred to me

When going into battle, how did the tanks cross friendly lines before getting to the German ones?

I can't find anything in the books

Thanks

Hi

Information on this appears in documents from Swinton's  February 1916 document onwards. S.S. 214 'Tanks and their Employment in Co-operation with Other Arms' of August 1918 has the following:

Image_20230611_0001.jpg.8b13d92c680b5f677062d964c36ecd6e.jpg

Image_20230611_0002.jpg.b93bd81d9a630f129b408174c1f76bea.jpg

Mike