Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Death plaque but not on CWGC ??

redbarchetta

There's a victory medal to 23050 Pte T H Whorton and a death plaque to Albert Whorton in a sale tomorrow, but there is no Albert Whorton on CWGC - indeed there are only 7 Whortons, and nothing close to Albert !

Never come across this before - what should I do ? Buy it regardless ? Anyone come across omissions from CWGC before ?

Cheers all

Jim

jim,

i have seen a trio and plaque to sgt john joseph tyler of the 15th warwicks, he is not listed on cwgc or soldiers died! he became ill in france,sent back to hospital in uk and discharged from the army and sent home to die.

his full story is on the cradley links website under 'sgt joe tyler'

enoch

Anyone come across omissions from CWGC before ?

Yes. Numerous.(Though, in the case you mention, he may not actually fall into the criteria of those listed by the CWGC, but will qualify for medals and a Plaque)

There are attempts to gradually rectify this problem, but the CWGC need evidence from "Joe Public" in order to do it. There is also a website dedicated to unlisted casualties out there.

Dave.

Jim

You can't say that he is missing from CWGC.

1) Name errors are often found on plaques (eg there is an Albert WHARTON on CWGC)

2) Plaques were issued for deaths after the CWGC cut-off date of 31.08.21

3) He may have served under an alias name which is how he is recorded on the plaque or on CWGC.

The number of missing men from CWGC is less than generally believed for all sorts of reasons and most of those who are missing are those who died of a war-related cause after discharge.

Thanks, both. Guess I'll see how much it goes for and bid if I can afford it. Spent £1,100 yesterday - will post a fuller description of that particular gem this weekend when I can sit down and write it !!! (VC winner, but no, not the medal !!)

G'night pals, and thanks again

Jim

I suspect that there is a spelling error somewhere along the line and Albert may well be listed under Wharton (of which there are a couple)

Andy

Sorry, Terry, crossed over posts !! Thanks - didn't think to check spelling mistakes !! what sort of amateurish operation were they running ???!!! (Kiddin' !!)

Thanks, mate

Jim

Not amateurish but highly organised.

However, this was the age before computers and hoards of bored, military or civilian clerks were used in place of microchips.

Errors abounded - as they still do today where human beings are required to process information of this nature. We all make mistakes.

Indeed. The Albert Wharton in the Sherwood Foresters looks the most likely - close to his brother in the Warwicks, and decidely lacking in peripheral information, such as age, next of kin, so unsurprising they misspelt the name. Well I have some nice Notts & Derby trench art, so he would be at home here, amongst friends.

Cheers all

Jim