Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fighting The Flying Circus

other ranker

I wondered if any of you good people could tell me which is the definitive 1st edition of 'Fighting The Flying Circus'? I have three copies all dated 1919. I can't find anything on the web.

IMG_20230605_212355_257.jpg

23 hours ago, other ranker said:

I wondered if any of you good people could tell me which is the definitive 1st edition of 'Fighting The Flying Circus'? I have three copies all dated 1919. I can't find anything on the web.

IMG_20230605_212355_257.jpg

Hello. 

This link will take you to a 'Presentation Copy' of the First Edition ,signed by the author, Edward Rickenbacker, which appears to be the same as the centre book in your photograph https://www.baumanrarebooks.com/rare-books/rickenbacker-edward-v/fighting-the-flying-circus/112191.aspx

Thanks for the research 

The copy on the right hand side has a blurb on it "Americas ace for 25 years" so won't be a 1919 edition . More like a 1943 edition?

After your message, I looked more closely at that book. There is a 1919 copy inside that later dust jacket. I was duped!

On 07/06/2023 at 10:04, other ranker said:

Thanks for the research 

Hi other ranker. Having seen other editions signed by Rickenbacker I thought to search again and found a US auctioneer listing a copy of the book in the centre of your original post stating it is the 'First edition, first printing', so hopefully with the presentation copy I mentioned previously, and this example, we have reached the correct conclusion. 

https://historical.ha.com/itm/books/americana-and-american-history/edward-v-rickenbacker-fighting-the-flying-circus-new-york-frederick-a-stokes-1919-first-edition-/a/201150-90273.s

Kind regads

Gunner...

Thanks for the info Gunner.