Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Western Front Place Search - Free to Use - 40K Entries

WhiteStarLine

The search engine / trench gazetteer used by The Western Front Mapping Portal for TrenchMapper has just reached a major milestone and it is worth reminding Forum pals of this free-to-use asset that anyone can benefit from.

A team of over 50 WFA volunteers have trawled thousands of georeferenced maps and recorded the name, description, location and elevation for over 40,000 places.  Here is a metadata sample for the term minden:

Term Trench Ref Quadrant Description Elevation Tag Latitude Longitude
Minden Avenue 62d.F.18.a.11.20 NE2 Near Fricourt (pop 461) 83  trench 49.984188 2.745906
Minden Post 62d.F.18.c.1.7 NE2 Near Fricourt (pop 461) 92  trench 49.982064 2.746053
Minden Post Dressing Station 62d.F.18.c.20.61 NE2 Historic location featured in WW1 film footage 93  medical 49.981749 2.746602
Minden Trench 57d.Q.4.b.23.20 SE Near Mailly-Maillet (pop 617) 131  trench 50.088598 2.647256
Tranché de Minden 62c.T.14.d.45.64 SW Tranchée de Minden 82  trench 49.843446 2.848155
Tranchée de Minden 76.W.24.b.59.87 SE near Courcy, (pop 1,453) 91  trench 49.310293 4.022671

While the aim is to display a chosen location on the map, the map portal's Quick Search or Advanced Search will first list the items found:

image.png.93502baadcbbbeba25dfb7f2dee6a255.png

The project is ongoing but has already amassed good coverage of France & Flanders, ranging from the north of Belgium to just north of Reims.  Already, the catalogue covers:

Type Entries
Trench, sap, dugout, redoubt 17,600
Farm 5,600
CWGC cemetery, monument 3,700
Building, camp, hut 3,400
Wood, forest 2,600
Road, lane, street 1,600
Church, crucifix, chapel 1,500
City, town, locality 1,400
River, stream, dam, bridge 900
Railway line, station, junction 800
Hill, valley, spot height 700

If you can't find something, just let us know.  If you have authoritative data on a missing item we will gladly add it (must be a public domain source).  Around 98% of entries have a specific point identified, usually somewhere in the feature's centre.  The remainder are shown as 'believed to be in this sub-grid square of 500 x 500 yards'.  Coverage is reasonably uniform, as this table of Points of Interest by location shows:

Locality Sheet POI
Wijtschate 28.O 611
Sint-Jan 28.C 571
Ieper 28.I 553
Mailly-Maillet 57d.Q 498
Neuville-Saint-Vaast 51b.A 481
Hébuterne 57d.K 448
Ploegsteert 28.U 423
Maricourt 62c.A 402
Kemmel 28.N 397
Prémesques 36.I 364
Tilloy-lès-Mofflaines 51b.H 360
Grandcourt 57d.R 327
Arras 51b.G 325
Beselare 28.J 324
Nieuwpoort 12.M 316
Armentières 36.C 304
Biache-Saint-Vaast 51b.I 291
Monchy-le-Preux 51b.O 290

So, follow the link in the first line and give it a try!

Cheers, Bill

Hello,

First of all, I think it is a great tool. It is extremely interesting. Well done for all who helped in this project.

"Polderhoek Chateau" is not in the list. Quite remarkable as it was of great importance.

There are quite a few transcription errors as far as I saw from a quick browse, especially in German/French names. Boyau von Haustin should be "Boyau von Haustein", tranché should always be tranchée, ...

I notice very few German maps. Are there plans to include more of them?

Jan

Jan, thanks for your kind words.  We've fixed all of the specific errors you raised, but due to browser caching it might be a day before you see them.  The Polderhoek Chateau had been transcribed simply as Chateau.

There are some plans with German maps but I don't want to steal someone else's thunder so I will tag @Howard.

Cheers, Bill

On 05/06/2023 at 08:05, AOK4 said:

Hello,

First of all, I think it is a great tool. It is extremely interesting. Well done for all who helped in this project.

"Polderhoek Chateau" is not in the list. Quite remarkable as it was of great importance.

There are quite a few transcription errors as far as I saw from a quick browse, especially in German/French names. Boyau von Haustin should be "Boyau von Haustein", tranché should always be tranchée, ...

I notice very few German maps. Are there plans to include more of them?

Jan

Points are not added by importance, volunteers work square by square filling in every point seen, then check on maps of different dates fro that square. This means even trivial points may be added before important ones. We are currently concentrating on the British sectors but will work round to Verdun and beyond as capacity allows.

We have about 2,000 German maps waiting to be georeferenced, once that is done we can add all the German names found. It will be done but not in the immediate future.

Names are added as seen on the map including old spellings. Naturally there will be mistakes and anyone spotting one is welcome to tell us. We notice that some places have different spellings for the same place and where possible those will all be added. For each point we have a description box and that will be searchable as well.

Howard

2 hours ago, Howard said:

Points are not added by importance, volunteers work square by square filling in every point seen, then check on maps of different dates fro that square. This means even trivial points may be added before important ones. We are currently concentrating on the British sectors but will work round to Verdun and beyond as capacity allows.

We have about 2,000 German maps waiting to be georeferenced, once that is done we can add all the German names found. It will be done but not in the immediate future.

Names are added as seen on the map including old spellings. Naturally there will be mistakes and anyone spotting one is welcome to tell us. We notice that some places have different spellings for the same place and where possible those will all be added. For each point we have a description box and that will be searchable as well.

Howard

Howard,

Thanks for your efforts.

I just made my remark about Polderhoek Chateau because the other names in the area were in the index. In the meantime it has been made clear that just "Chateau" had been put in the list.

Of course there are different names for a lot of places as there was the old (non-standardized, usually with a heavy French influence) spelling in Flanders during WW1 (a standardized spelling only was agreed upon in 1948 or so). The Germans introduced "Flemish" spelling for place names during the war as part of their Flamenpolitik.

German names on maps have their own issues as well (among these are translated place names).

How about "moving" place names? Sometimes place names moved around according to the map version and the scale of it. Who decides what spot to take?

And I also notice you attritube points to trench names and "areas" (like hamlets or villages). I assume that it's difficult to implement areas or lines?

Regards,

Jan

3 hours ago, AOK4 said:

Howard,

Thanks for your efforts.

I just made my remark about Polderhoek Chateau because the other names in the area were in the index. In the meantime it has been made clear that just "Chateau" had been put in the list.

Of course there are different names for a lot of places as there was the old (non-standardized, usually with a heavy French influence) spelling in Flanders during WW1 (a standardized spelling only was agreed upon in 1948 or so). The Germans introduced "Flemish" spelling for place names during the war as part of their Flamenpolitik.

German names on maps have their own issues as well (among these are translated place names).

How about "moving" place names? Sometimes place names moved around according to the map version and the scale of it. Who decides what spot to take?

And I also notice you attritube points to trench names and "areas" (like hamlets or villages). I assume that it's difficult to implement areas or lines?

Regards,

Jan

The idea is that people will search for places from reports written at the time not anything agreed afterwards. It may be possible in the future to add  modern spellings.

We do not attempt to define the geographic location, it is simply a finding aid. A user looks for a point and the system presents the map with it on, the user then takes it from there. There are obvious difficulties trying to define exact locations, not the least the start and end point of a trench, especially long ones. To do that we would need to trace each trench and supply a vector in response. A colossal task!!

Howard