Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

This is the Fourth of June

michaeldr

Remembering my grandfather, T/Z 89 AB Daniel Dunn RNVR (Nelson Batt., RND) wounded on this day in 1915

image.jpeg.851cbef66fe2314955464340c9bb6c6d.jpeg
[with thanks to 'draperju' for the above picture]

from History of the Medical Unit of the Royal Naval Division 
by SURGEON REAR-ADMIRAL ARTHUR GASKELL, C.B., O.B.E., F.R.C.S., D.P.H. 
Late A.D.M.S. of the Royal Naval Division. 

(Copy) 
From Surgeon Parker, S.M.O. lst R.N. Brigade. 
To A.D.M.S. 

During the action of June 4, 5, and 6, the lst R.N. Brigade was in reserve at first, with the exception of the Drake Battalion which was in supports. During the evening of June 4th we moved up, Nelsons, Hawkes and Benbows. I am not clear as to where the other battalions went at first, but the Nelsons went up the communicating trench of the 42nd Division. Here I was working in Aid Post of 5th and 8th Lancs. Fusiliers. I had to evacuate very largely through East Lanes. F.A. because (1) The bearers evacuating the R.N. Advanced Dressing Station at White House were working very hard and were hardly keeping pace with the cases from that side and (2) our communicating trench came out into the Gully some 300 yards below that from the White House and to take them up there would have meant loaded stretchers passing in opposite directions along the Gully. I communicated with the M.O. of the R.N. Advanced Post and he asked me if I could manage without him. For this reason many Nelsons, some Hawkes and possibly one or more of other R.N. Battalions have gone through East Lanes F.A.'s. This, Sir I beg to submit was quite unavoidable and much the best thing to do under the circumstances. I wish to mention that Capt. Dyson, Major Holt and Lieut. Thompson of the 5th and 8th L.F. gave me every assistance. My band worked splendidly and untiringly in getting out the wounded, P.O. McGrath organizing their work in a very able manner. I have mentioned him to my C.O. for this reason, but the whole of my band were very good. Surgeon Bradbury of the Hawkes was wounded during the evening of June 4th before they reached the Firing Line. I therefore did what I could to see that the stretcher bearers of the Hawkes were in their right place. Some of the Hawke wounded came down the 42nd communication trench through me and the East Lanes F.A. and others came down the R.N.D. trenches and through the White House Advanced Post. Surgeon Lauderdale when he arrived used the same aid post as Surgeon Playne. Surgeon Molesworth had a very difficult time in keeping in touch with his battalion which was constantly moving and getting lost, I have not yet seen him to hear where he finally became established. Surgeon Williamson was a long way from me at the other end of the line in the aid post used by himself and Surgeon Ballance on previous occasions. I can certainly say for my battalion and I think for the whole brigade that evacuation went on quite smoothly and efficiently, though not in my case entirely through the correct channels. I consider that the R.N.F.A. bearers compare very favourably indeed with those of other F.A's I saw. I would also mention that my 5 water-duty men are doing very well at taking over any work that wants doing when the water cart cannot be used. 

(signed) H. B. Parker. Surgeon. 

From Gaskell's narrative:
On June 6, the enemy kept up an intensive shelling of all our positions, thus adding still more to our already large number of casualties. On this day a general shift round of our field ambulances took place, the third being sent to Gulley beach for a rest and the first moved into a new camp in the rear. The accompanying rough map gives approximately the various posts and camps of the R.N.D. medical unit at this period. 

Scan2023-06-06_071044.jpg.866f6b9f5ec759e8bbad182ab274785f.jpg