Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tunic alterations in WW1- a walking out jacket?

JMakoul

Hello to all,

Thank you in advance for your help. When a British World War I soldier did alterations to their tunic, was this only exclusively done to be their “walking out” jacket at the end of the war? Or Would a soldier sometimes do this while still in the field? The latter would indicate, that a tunic may have seen field use, even though it has some alterations to the collar to make it look more “smart”. 

26 minutes ago, JMakoul said:

Hello to all,

Thank you in advance for your help. When a British World War I soldier did alterations to their tunic, was this only exclusively done to be their “walking out” jacket at the end of the war? Or Would a soldier sometimes do this while still in the field? The latter would indicate, that a tunic may have seen field use, even though it has some alterations to the collar to make it look more “smart”. 

Collars were often adjusted to give the appearance of a smarter upright collar, especially by regulars and reservists, but less often by wartime volunteers like those raised by Kitchener.  This very basic alteration could be done either by tailoring or simply by adding hooks and eyes that drew the edges together to give the appearance of such an upright collar.  This wasn’t uncommon to see in the field.  More substantial alteration such as making a jacket closer fitting was much less likely for a garment worn in the field as it hampered layering in inclement weather conditions.

Thank you very much for that response. If I might get your opinion, if a soldier’s tunic was altered by tightening the collar would that seem  possible mid war or would that have more likely been a post war going home alteration? 

13 minutes ago, JMakoul said:

Thank you very much for that response. If I might get your opinion, if a soldier’s tunic was altered by tightening the collar would that seem  possible mid war or would that have more likely been a post war going home alteration? 

As mentioned above collar modifications were very common, including in the field.  It depends on the extent of the tightening.  Making it very close fitting would be both, uncomfortable and impede the movement of the head left and right to observe, as well as making it next to impossible to wear a comforter as a scarf in cold weather.  For those reasons a very tight collar is unlikely in active, wartime conditions.  

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thank you again!

here is a photo of an altered collar… Do you think this could be field Worn? It appears lining was attached to the interior of the collar to make it more comfortable.
Photo attached 

IMG_2578.png

Edited by JMakoul

2 minutes ago, JMakoul said:

Thank you again!

here is a photo of an altered collar… Do you think this could be field Worn? It appears lining was attached to the interior of the collar to make it more comfortable.
Photo attached 

IMG_2578.png

Yes, it’s not at all uncommon and typical of the style favoured by older regulars and reservists who were used to very similar collars on the undress serge frocks that preceded service dress for wear in the field.  It is of the former, fully tailored type that I mentioned earlier.

Edited by FROGSMILE