Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help identifying this large painting with some clues

arantxa

This came from a car boot I must point out I will probably swap it as it’s too big and you can’t keep everything if you are against swapping / selling to buy other items then done help as simple as that 

it has a coat of arms and the motto ithink mediocria firma I may 

its dated 1916 and named by artist ? Or Soldier Percy C H Bacon I may have that wrong I have tried to do some Google searches to no avail 

why is so large at bottom of frame or dies the motto mean he was a casualty 

FEB28ABC-21D2-4717-BE6A-CBDB34468E52.jpeg

9490D808-6F69-4F18-93E5-1B73E95D3FF6.jpeg

267EF096-F394-4734-9C8C-3277CA2789B4.jpeg

BBFFD54E-1D71-46B2-88FD-5383BCD96E43.jpeg

A7CB8998-1126-44AF-B8D9-44670FC671D1.jpeg

E9600D1E-AF5A-4A1E-B458-7D4520937279.jpeg

244087D0-0F43-43EF-AF7A-82847F21C1D6.jpeg

3CE8B0E9-9DA1-494B-A623-C6F31023906F.jpeg

It’s not easy to photo as I suspect most of the dirt on the inside of the glass 

You might be best advised to post this on “The Culture Pages” intended for queries of this nature. 

Thank you I didn’t realiza there was a culture pages section 

thank you 

Thank you 

I put it here cos it was date. 1916 and a soldier 

The Coat of Arms is that of the Bacon family and with the name at the bottom being Percy Bacon  think we are looking for an officer of that name. 

Edited by Gunner 87

1911 Census of England and Wales has a 50 year old Percy Charles Haydon Bacon, who records his occupation as Ecclesiastical Artist. He is probably the painter. Now going out so will delve a bit deeper later.

Cheers,
Peter

The nearest I can get as far as the family crest goes is a slightly less ornate version of the one in the painting. The vast majority of Bacon heraldry have a helmet above the shield. Many also seem to have the red hand such as the one attached. Considering the crest, I wonder if the artist, which seems very likely Percy Charles Haydon Bacon, as identified by Peter, is related to the sitter. 

E5145566-62D3-499F-A56B-E6C41B56C1FB_4_5005_c.jpeg

I think you guys have hit the nail on the head im going to search for any officers of the Bacon family 

Quite a few shame no badges on uniform don’t know if the buttons help 

5AFC35C3-5ECD-4E22-9548-B55B69879339.jpeg

F5C8217F-1FAE-4516-9864-5BE4B44E88D1.jpeg

0B476CF8-CB99-4A65-8E5F-A814100977C6.jpeg

EC3DE5A9-8C37-427A-AFCB-5336F4B39613.jpeg

I think it is Clarence Haydon Bacon of the Northamptonshire Regiment. This fits with the initials, C H Bacon, and was the son of Percy who has signed he portrait which he painted. In short he painted a portrait of his son in 1915.

D77750EF-9A11-4A30-A910-924F6F26FD52.jpeg

This is the artist Pery Charles Haydon Bacon. 

0153971A-C317-4751-A1AD-62E3E965B3A7.jpeg

Gunner 

Yet gain you have come up trumps !!

That is fantastic and now a picture from a car boot sale can have its name again. 
If you are ever down in Sunny Sussex I will buy you an ice cream or a beer

Thangs again and also to Prc

Clarence on the net 

69576AA9-FF50-44FB-BE92-58AA9E2AD585.jpeg

6C6B17D8-AABA-4358-9700-4040EF6CFCA5.jpeg

Clarence isn't Percy's son but his Nephew.  Makes no difference to the outcome, great result. 

Edited by Gunner 87

If you would like me to send a picture of the portrait to the Bacon family tree on Ancestry I can do so.... Gunner 87

Sometimes shields are differenced to distinguish between different branches of the same family. Medieval heraldry has specific symbols (cadency) to show different descendants of an original armigerous person, but as far as I know a hand is not one of them. Maybe the hand in the Bacon arms was simply too hard to render in the art style used in this painting. Still, cadet branches can often be visually linked to the main branch because their arms are the same but with a small addition. More on the Bacon arms here.

Northampton Museums, who retain all image rights, have added the same picture of Clarence Bacon to their flickr account. Note they spell his middle name as HaydEn whereas MiC, Medal Rolls, London Gazette and Army Lists have him as HaydOn. https://www.flickr.com/photos/northampton_museum/3004187161/in/photostream/

On the 1911 Census of England & Wales the 22 year old Second Lieutenant Clarence Haydon Bacon, born Canada, was recorded in barracks at Wellington, Nilgiris, India, with the 1st Battalion Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry. He was then unmarried. (Note this would place his birth as c1888/89 so either the age is incorrect or date of birth on the Northamptonshire Museums website, (02/07/1887), is incorrect.

The angles that the painting has been photographed at makes doing a side by side a bit difficult, so here's a rough and ready attempt.

ClarenceHeydonBaconpanelv1.png.2d2ee774eb810191f557834c557c4ad3.png

No new IP is claimed for the above and all image rights remain with the current owners.

The painter, although he states himself to be an artist, (and employer) on the 1891, 1901 and 1911 Censuses, is best known for the stained glass workshop he set up, rather than his own paintings. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percy_Bacon_Brothers

On the 1881 Census of England & Wales, aged 20, he is recorded as a designer of stained glass

The family appears to have been from relatively lowly beginnings, so I suspect the coat of arms is a bit of an affectation.

Cheers,
Peter

1 hour ago, PRC said:

Northampton Museums, who retain all image rights, have added the same picture of Clarence Bacon to their flickr account. Note they spell his middle name as HaydEn whereas MiC, Medal Rolls, London Gazette and Army Lists have him as HaydOn. https://www.flickr.com/photos/northampton_museum/3004187161/in/photostream/

On the 1911 Census of England & Wales the 22 year old Second Lieutenant Clarence Haydon Bacon, born Canada, was recorded in barracks at Wellington, Nilgiris, India, with the 1st Battalion Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry. He was then unmarried. (Note this would place his birth as c1888/89 so either the age is incorrect or date of birth on the Northamptonshire Museums website, (02/07/1887), is incorrect.

The angles that the painting has been photographed at makes doing a side by side a bit difficult, so here's a rough and ready attempt.

ClarenceHeydonBaconpanelv1.png.2d2ee774eb810191f557834c557c4ad3.png

No new IP is claimed for the above and all image rights remain with the current owners.

The painter, although he states himself to be an artist, (and employer) on the 1891, 1901 and 1911 Censuses, is best known for the stained glass workshop he set up, rather than his own paintings. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percy_Bacon_Brothers

On the 1881 Census of England & Wales, aged 20, he is recorded as a designer of stained glass

The family appears to have been from relatively lowly beginnings, so I suspect the coat of arms is a bit of an affectation.

Cheers,
Peter

Well done Peter, that’s him alright. 
Definitely a ranker with high aspirations.

what a super result   thanks every one

1 hour ago, arantxa said:

what a super result   thanks every one

Bacon butties all round then 

22 hours ago, arantxa said:

I will probably swap it as it’s too big and you can’t keep everything

Hi arantxa. 

I note you are considering swapping or selling the portrait. Clarence has four family trees on Ancestry and Percy, twenty. I'm sure a number would bite your hand off to secure the portrait.

If you would like my help contacting any of them, as I subscribe, please don't hesitate to ask.

Alternatively, I'm in a military art group with 1600 members and am sure it would attract some interest. Again, let me know if I can be of assistance.

Gunner 87

Thank you.i will try that ....its only that its so big approx 60 inches x 40 inches and very heavy and a very large piece of glass ..i just dont have room in the house ..i have a lot of framed pictures already in the loft ...i may well back to you on that kind offer ...

Thank you

18 hours ago, knittinganddeath said:

Sometimes shields are differenced to distinguish between different branches of the same family. Medieval heraldry has specific symbols (cadency) to show different descendants of an original armigerous person, but as far as I know a hand is not one of them. Maybe the hand in the Bacon arms was simply too hard to render in the art style used in this painting. Still, cadet branches can often be visually linked to the main branch because their arms are the same but with a small addition. More on the Bacon arms here.

The red hand, or "bloody hand of Ulster" as it is known in heraldry is a mark of Baronetcy, and doesn't apply to the chap in the painting though he is from another branch of the same family. A Baronet is a hereditary title awarded by the British Crown but is not a peerage.

Tony

2 minutes ago, MerchantOldSalt said:

The red hand, or "bloody hand of Ulster" as it is known in heraldry is a mark of Baronetcy

Thanks for this clarification. I wrote my master's thesis about medieval Arthurian heraldry, and Arthurian arms tend to be extremely basic. No red hands among the knights of the Round Table for sure!