Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help finding info on a ship my great great grandad served

streetp

Hi

Trying to find out some info on a ship my great grandad James E Streeting served on but struggling to read it on his record, we think it says Tigue but can't find any record of a ship named this. Any help much appreciated

Screenshot_20230529_211713_Gallery.jpg

I agree with HMS TYNE (as the depot ship) and if I had to guess, I’d say that there’s a very good chance that the actual ship he served on was HMS PETEREL.Same ship also tendered to HMS WALLINGTON later on in the war (as shown on the line below).

HMS PETEREL (1899) was a B class destroyer that served in home waters during WW1 - a part of the 8th Destroyer Flotilla for most of the time (based at Leith), then moving down to the Humber in 1917 and becoming part of the 7th Destroyer Flotilla.

I’m sure @horatio2 will put me straight if I’m wrong.

MB

Edited by KizmeRD

1 hour ago, GreyC said:

The name is Tyne, I think.

GreyC

Thank you

37 minutes ago, KizmeRD said:

I agree with HMS TYNE (as the depot ship) and if I had to guess, I’d say that there’s a very good chance that the actual ship he served on was HMS PETEREL.Same ship also tendered to HMS WALLINGTON later on in the war (as shown on the line below).

HMS PETEREL (1899) was a B class destroyer that served in home waters during WW1 - a part of the 8th Destroyer Flotilla for most of the time (based at Leith), then moving down to the Humber in 1917 and becoming part of the 7th Destroyer Flotilla.

I’m sure @horatio2 will put me straight if I’m wrong.

MB

Thank you so much for the info, my dad will be so happy to read all this 

I entirely agree with @KizmeRD     . However, the final entries on this record are a little confusing and require some exlanation. I think his last WW1 draft was to HMS HECLA as parent ship to HMS PETEREL in which he had been serving since July 1916. The service dates then have a gap. I read the last entries on the record as:

HECLA (ditto) List 12 [= PETEREL]   16 Jan 1919 to 11 Mar 1919 Demobilised [to Royal Fleet Reserve (RFR)]

PEMBROKE II                                     8 Apr 1921 to 6 Jun 1921 Demobilised [to RFR]

His last wartime draft in PETEREL (parented now by HMS HECLA at Chatham) was to see PETEREL de-commissioned in late February 1919 and taken out of service for breaking-up later that year.

The last entry shows that on 8 April 1921 he was again mobilised (with thousands of reservists) from the RFR for two months of a national miners’ strike.

Finally, a note about his RN engagement (= contract of service). A ‘normal’ RN engagement was for 12 years in the Fleet but he enlisted in May 1906 as a stoker on a Special Service (SS) engagement. This required him to serve five years in the Fleet, followed by seven years in the RFR. He completed his Fleet time in May 1911 and joined the RFR with the additional RFR Official Number Chatham B.7658. On the outbreak of WW1 he was mobilised from the RFR. Despite having served in the RFR for nearly eight years (1911-1919) he evidently remained in the RFR after his 1919 demobilisation discharge, hence his second mobilisation in 1921. He could stay in the RFR until age 55, if he so wished.

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/05/2023 at 11:55, horatio2 said:

I entirely agree with @KizmeRD     . However, the final entries on this record are a little confusing and require some exlanation. I think his last WW1 draft was to HMS HECLA as parent ship to HMS PETEREL in which he had been serving since July 1916. The service dates then have a gap. I read the last entries on the record as:

HECLA (ditto) List 12 [= PETEREL]   16 Jan 1919 to 11 Mar 1919 Demobilised [to Royal Fleet Reserve (RFR)]

PEMBROKE II                                     8 Apr 1921 to 6 Jun 1921 Demobilised [to RFR]

His last wartime draft in PETEREL (parented now by HMS HECLA at Chatham) was to see PETEREL de-commissioned in late February 1919 and taken out of service for breaking-up later that year.

The last entry shows that on 8 April 1921 he was again mobilised (with thousands of reservists) from the RFR for two months of a national miners’ strike.

Finally, a note about his RN engagement (= contract of service). A ‘normal’ RN engagement was for 12 years in the Fleet but he enlisted in May 1906 as a stoker on a Special Service (SS) engagement. This required him to serve five years in the Fleet, followed by seven years in the RFR. He completed his Fleet time in May 1911 and joined the RFR with the additional RFR Official Number Chatham B.7658. On the outbreak of WW1 he was mobilised from the RFR. Despite having served in the RFR for nearly eight years (1911-1919) he evidently remained in the RFR after his 1919 demobilisation discharge, hence his second mobilisation in 1921. He could stay in the RFR until age 55, if he so wished.

Thank you so much for all this info, my dad will be so happy to read all this x