Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Devonshire Reg 8th Bn

shaymen

Could anyone please tell me where The Devonshires 8th Bn were on or around 27th May 1918 - What were they up to ?

Any info greatly appreciated.

Glyn

Could anyone please tell me where The Devonshires 8th Bn were on or around 27th May 1918 - What were they up to ?

Any info greatly appreciated.

Glyn

20th Brigade, 7th Division, in Italy. holding the line on the Asiago Plateau. Very quiet (even by Italian Front standards) - only 40 casualties (1 officer, 5 men killed, 5/26 wounded, 0/3 missing) in the entire Brigade for the whole month

Steven

Thanks for that info BUT I have just realised that the man I am researching was posted to the 2nd Bn (CWGC info)although SDGW had no mention of this.

Therefore anyone have any info on 2nd Bn - I guess it was Battle of Aisne as he is remembered on Soissons Mem

Glyn

Hi Glyn

The "Devonshire Regimental History" has about 8 pages of what was happening with the 2nd Battalion that day. They were at 'Bois de Buttes'. As my typing is slow, very very slow, I would not be able to type it in However, I am more than happy to photocopy this on Tuesday and put it in the post to you if you woul like to e-mail me your address.

Kind regards

John

John

Many Thanks - Extremely kind offer

Have e-mailed you

Glyn

Hello,

Just finished a research degree on the Aisne battle. What do you want to know with regard to the role of the 2nd Devons?

David

David

Thanks for the reply.

John has kindly copied the relevant pages from the Devonshire Regimental History which is very useful.Basically I am trying to put together as much info as possible about the movements of the 2nd Bn because a soldier from that Bn is named on my local memorial.

I am in the process of writing a book about all the men on my local Mem(Stansted Essex).

Sgt William John Haggerwood 8611 8th Bn Posted to 2nd Bn - KIA 27/5/1918 commemorated on the Soissons Memorial.

If you have any additional info I would be most grateful

Thanks

Glyn

Glyn

Just for your information the Regimental Casualty List gives your man as still being in the 8th (Service) Battalion.

Kind regards

John

John

Thanks for that BUT can I assume he was with the 2nd Bn at the time of his death because as Steven pointed out the 8th were in Italy and my guy was killed in France

Glyn

Hello,

As well as the 'original' regimental history there are two other sources I would suggest:

Aggett, W J P ‘The Bloody Eleventh: History of the Devonshire Regiment Volume III: 1914-1969’ (The Devonshire and Dorset Regiment Exeter 1995)

and:

Colwill, R A 'Through Hell to Victory' (Reginald A Colwill, at 33 Thurlow Road, Torquay, Devonshire 1927)-

However, all the above accounts suggest the stand by the Devons at the Bois des Buttes,

was to 'the last man' if you check out the SDGW you will find that this is not quite the whole truth.

David

Oh, by the way do you have a photograph of the man you are researching? If so could you send it by e mail.

David

David

Sorry - No photo at present - he is one of a few I am researching on my local Memorial and I am hopeful something might come up during my local investigations.

Glyn