Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Violence in 2nd Irish Rifles

WilliamRev

In December 1914 in The Burgoyne Diaries, Burgoyne was at his wits end with the poor Special Reserve reinforcements that he was being sent, and tells of hitting a 'useless corporal' who was failing to impose discipline. There are other occasions in Burgoyne's diary where physical violence was used by NCOs against privates as a form of unofficial punishment.

My question is: did 2nd Irish Rifles (as Richard Grayson points out in Belfast Boys this was a Belfast battalion made up of both catholics and protestants and with a wide range of political views) have a culture of physical violence as a means of discipline, as opposed to the more usual punishments, or was this just Burgoyne's own unorthodox approach? Was this kind of thing common in any other Irish units?

Any thoughts (without straying beyond the First World War of course) would be most welcome.

William

Are we going to be censored if we dare to suggest that there might have been a greater reconciliation to violence in the very febrile situation in Ireland at that time : indeed, might it still be so today in NI ?

Phil

3 hours ago, phil andrade said:

Are we going to be censored if we dare to suggest that there might have been a greater reconciliation to violence in the very febrile situation in Ireland at that time : indeed, might it still be so today in NI ?

Phil

Well there certainly was and still is a huge admiration for, and enjoyment of, the sport of Boxing in Belfast; this came to mind just after I wrote my post. (But I'll say no more on current matters).

15 hours ago, paddyhickey said:

I assume this was the situation through the army, and indeed all armies at the time.

Yes, I'm sure to a certain extent; but I'm wondering if Burgoyne was unusual (unique?) in being an officer who seemed to be happy recording that he hit an NCO,, and that his NCOs used the same physical violence on their men. Bergoyne survived the war and made minor corrections to his diary after the war, so was happy to let these entries stand.

William